Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Need Advice -- Late Season Public Land >

Need Advice -- Late Season Public Land

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need Advice -- Late Season Public Land

Old 05-16-2004, 09:38 AM

Default Need Advice -- Late Season Public Land

The gobblers were sounding off during preseason scouting and during the first week. Went out yesterday and heard only one gobble. They seem to have gotten very quiet. Next Saturdauy is the last day of the season. WHat advice can somebody offer in regards to harvesting quiet birds on heavily pressuured Public Land?
Old 05-16-2004, 09:53 AM

Default RE: Need Advice -- Late Season Public Land

knowing that birds are in the area you are hunting,i would get there well before daylight and hope to hear a gobble from the roost.i would not use owl or other locator calls.if after an hour,you hear no gobbles,i would try setting up a couple of decoys at the edge of a field,food plot or clearing and only call softly and conservativly.birds this time of the season have been called alot and have seen hunters after hearing the calls and are very wary.just because you don't hear one gobble does not mean they are not there.birds are still gobbling here after the season closed may 1 st.this is the time for listening more than calling until you hear a gobble.once you know where the bird is and can determine the direction of travel, you can setup in front of him and call softly to let him know you are there and be patiently.btw,i don't know what kind of population you have there but here in ms. 38% of the annual harvest is taken during the first week.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pick a spot that others don't tend to frequent, Enter the woods from a different travel route then other hunters. Quiet is a BIG benefit for Success on Public land. Do not call a lot and keep calling short and low pitched. Listening is very inportant, Gobblers that are presured, tend travel quiet, Drumming is the main type of call you will hear. Don't exspect to hear alot of Gobbling while the bird comes in...BT
Old 05-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

NJlb what state are you hunting?
Old 05-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see a lot of New Jersey plates were I hunt