Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question for lefties???

Old 12-20-2002, 02:41 PM
Spike

Default RE: Question for lefties???

Taz,
I too am a lefty. I've been shooting guns since I was 4. To my knowledge, I have never shot a gun w/ lefthand action. I probably wouldn't know what to do with one. I shot a Browning A-bolt now and do just fine. I don't think the action will matter if you are going with a single shot anyway. I definitely would go w/ an automatic right hand action. Atleast not in a larger caliber, I have burned my arm a couple times when the casing ejected on it.

Good luck! It sounds like you have a lot of good BUSY years ahead of you.

Old 12-20-2002, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot left, always have. The only gun I've found that I can't shoot is my dad's semi-auto 22. It is an old, but beautiful J.C.Higgen's sold by Sears, I think. Great little gun, but I get a face full of burnt powder and gasses that really sting when I shoot it. No one can shoot well like that. Let her learn to shoot and she will adapt like the rest of us. CAUTION!!! I was in a goose pit once with my best friend and his brother, who shoots left handed. They traded 870's for a reason I can't remember. I looked at my friend holding his brothers gun and all I could see was the red ring on the safty. YIKES! The safty was off. I told him and he couldn't believe it. His brother had a left hand safty installed on that gun and didn't tell us. I shoot a right hand gun, safty and all and believe me, not many guys get a gun up and on target quicker than I do. Jim

Old 12-20-2002, 06:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-20-2002, 08:53 PM

Tazman, I too am left-handed and my dad always purchased guns with push button safeties that he had converted for a lefty. Since you want only one gun to fit both girls, I would choose one that has a tang safety. That way, the left-handed child doesn't have to work the safety from the right side of the trigger guard. Savage makes their old Stevens single shot that will probably fit the girls, but it is an exposed hammer and I doubt it has an additional safety. Why not consider other actions besides a single shot and simply limit the gun to one shot at a time? That way you have other options and ultimately a more versatile gun. If you do want a single shot, however, the Thompson Contender in a rifle version would be nice, and you can add other barrels as the need arises. In any event, congratulations on having daughters interested in shooting. Just be careful with the lefty that you don't buy a gun more appropriately suited for her sister.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your local Wally World Sporting goods manager would probably be more than happy to order one of the NEF single shots for you. My brother has one in the new .17 HMR caliber and it is pretty good. The one he has came with a Bull Barrel though so you may want to check that out if that is what you decide to go with. Check with a local Gunshop or Gunsmith as they would probably be willing to order one for you as well. Wally World will probably get you the best price because of their volume but since the NEF product is inexpesive to begin with, that should not be a major concern. Check them out before you decide because many of the NEF guns have interchangeable barrels available for the same action. This would give you the option of up-grading to another caliber as the young ladies get a little older.

Coastie
"Count the day lost whose low, descending sun
is not, in part, obscured by powder from my gun,"
(Anon)
Old 12-21-2002, 05:58 AM

I have shot lefty all of my life. Dad was a total southpaw, and this is the way he taught me to shoot at a very young age. I have never had any problems either, as others have stated, and would recomend buying something that would fit the size of their body and not so much about whether a gun will be a problem due to the handling of the firearm from either side, even though it is totally understandable to be concerned for younger children. I would think that they (the young) would have an advantage over adults when it comes to firing a righthanded firearm lefthanded, due to the nature that their face is farther away fromn the action than an adults would be because of the shortness and width of torsoe, shoulders, arms, ect. The only thing I can think of that you might do is have them wear a long sleeved shirt, jacket, ect., when firing the weapon so as not to get burned by hot brass, until they are of age and experience to handle it themselves. It is good to hear about more people getting young ones into the shooting sports. Congrats and good luck!!!
Old 12-21-2002, 04:48 PM

You should consider looking into a lever action. Even though it isn't a single shot it is probably the closest thing to ambidextrous as you can get. A break open is a single shot and is also pretty easy to use with either hand, but I dont know if anyone still makes one in .22. I know that marlin makes a .22 in lever action. I bought my first .22 from them when I was around 10 which was 8 years ago, and it was only $100 new for a semi, and I haven't had any problems with it yet, except that its getting a little small.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/
Old 12-22-2002, 06:16 AM

Us lefties must be the most ignored folks of all time
My first gun was a single shot m55 Winchester, ejects downward.
I agree with the NEF and also might mention the Savage falling block.
I don't have any left hand guns, I just got used to having to use mostly righty things in life.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:48 AM

my first gun was a marlin single shot .22, bolt action, i just learned to use it, my deer rifle right now is a model seven right handed bolt action, us lefties got it rough, i learned to shoot a right handed bow also, with normally been able to get one shot off wiht my deer rifle because of this predicament i think it had made me be a better shot in the long run because typically i only have enough time for one

"She said if I hit that fishin hole today, she's be packin all her things and she'd, be gone by noon....I'm gonna miss her, when I get home."
Old 12-23-2002, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow I had no idea we had so many lefties here!!! I will let my girls know. BTW I am leaning towards the single shot lever action, I haven't gone out looking yet, but will.

Thank you all for the advice!

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club

Quick Reply: Question for lefties???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.