Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Just getting started

Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Just getting started

i have hunted for basically my whole life but never for deer mainly waterfowl and small game what tips and advice do wpuld you give me to get started....thanks
Old 05-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just getting started

Read as much as you can in this forum. In my opinion, it is the best source of help. Don't be shy or scared to ask questions. Also, get your hands on as much reading material as possible and pick up some hunting videos. Well worth the money.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

My best advice would be to find a fellow deerhunter in your area or someone you will be hunting with, ask them a lot of questions, and offer to help them with putting up stands, clearing lanes, finding good spots to hunt (scouting), planting food plots, etc. Getting your hands dirty will probably help more than book knowledge. But as Zubba said, reading up a little bit on some tactics and common knowledge could be helpful.

Lastly, get a good rifle and scope and practice with them until you are a constitently good shot.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:33 AM

read as much as you can
Old 05-23-2007, 07:37 AM

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

My best advice would be to find a fellow deerhunter in your area or someone you will be hunting with, ask them a lot of questions, and offer to help them with putting up stands, clearing lanes, finding good spots to hunt (scouting), planting food plots, etc. Getting your hands dirty will probably help more than book knowledge. But as Zubba said, reading up a little bit on some tactics and common knowledge could be helpful.

Lastly, get a good rifle and scope and practice with them until you are a constitently good shot.
x2, as an experienced hunter can help speed up your learning curve quit a bit and just nice to have around when first hunting.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deleted
Old 05-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

my first advice would be to NOT take advice from someone who shoots a Bowtech! J/K! Naaa, thats a great tip though, I got one of my buddies started, he is still a little green in some of his ways, but he is getting there! take every word an experienced hunter says for verse, my buddy still thinks he has a better sense of smell than a deer, not really, but he takes a deer's nose for granted!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

bhunter50,

Did you expect a Bowtech owner to say watch this movie and you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about deer?

I really like the tag-line. I gotta use that one some time.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to get into some PM chats with some experianced members when they're online, I learned alot that way.

Here's a few veteran hunters who I look up to:

Rebel Hog

James B

Bare Bare Jack

Montana Bob

renfrowridge

bigcountry

EKM

There's more, too, I'm just listing a few off the top of my head.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

You might want to get into some PM chats with some experianced members when they're online, I learned alot that way.

Here's a few veteran hunters who I look up to:

Rebel Hog

James B

Bare Bare Jack

Montana Bob

renfrowridge

bigcountry

EKM

There's more, too, I'm just listing a few off the top of my head.

thee hunting net chat rooom doesnt work for me.

Quick Reply: Just getting started

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.