Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you think?

Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 AM

Default What do you think?

I'm 20 andkilled my first deer when Iwas6, and I have a little bro who is8 that wants to kill his first deer (he's obsessed) this coming season. I have guided hunts for 4 yrs on our ranch in south Texas so I've dealt with a few kids in the field.He's hunted quail and rabbits a few times before, but the problem is that he is small for his age (50 lbs) and has trouble holding the gun up without a little help.I'm going to take him to the range this summer to see how he can shoot. Should I wait another year before letting him take a deer? Also, what rifle do you think I should get him to start with?I was thinking a Rem Model 7 youth synthetic in 223 with an extraLeupold 2.5-8x32 I have laying around on it. What are yalls' experiences with the munchkins in the field? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What do you think?

First off, you are a good brother to take your younger brother hunting....

He should be fine, as long as you help him practice though out the summer...
My niece started hunting with her dad at 10-12, she killed her first deer at 12 with a 22-250 and the Federal Premium 60 grain Nosler Partition...She has killed 6 deer with this loading...Pick out a good deer bullet for him and he will be fine...

I have found that younger kids will listen more than when they get older...As you know, you will want to limit your shots to within 100 yards and 50 would be better...You might also need to setup a stand or blind just for him and adjust the rifle rest to his size...My brother even had his daughter in the stand in July-August shooting at targets at the distance he expected the deer to be at...All of this builds confidence, which is a good thing...Good Luck
Old 05-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a perfect gun for a youth. Take himI wish I could have started that young. Lots of practice with the gun and he will do fine.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

im 21 and just had the same type thing trying to get my girlfreind to hold up the gun with out help. i bought her a benilli nova youth model. Just have your little bro put the gun on a rest or on shooting sticks. i had my gf jsut put her left elbow on her left knee and she droped a turkey at 25 yards no problem. Good luck with the brother.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you are hunting is south texas on a ranch just set him in a stand. practice with him during the summer and make sure that he knows his gun saftey. last summer i guided for a camp in the hill country where we had over 150 kids over 5 camps. we took them out and let them harvest an exotic doe. practice is the key. and a .223 will be fine i shot my first 5 deer with a .22-.250
Old 05-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would put him in a stand also, with a shooting rail. He should be alright up to a .243 with no problems.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

a 243 with a recoil pad would feel like a 223 without. not too much recoil. I used to shoot a 308 at that age.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Applaud the idea, and I think watching him at the range should give you an idea of if he is ready, especially since he's your brother .

I would suggest upping it to a .243. There shouldn't be that much difference, and he would get more use out of it as he ages. I just think that a .223 is a marginal deer rifle (although a properly placed shot will do the job), while a .243 is a great deer cartridge. Once he gets bigger he will do what most young men do and want a bigger rifle

Old 05-17-2007, 09:58 PM

My boys harvested there first deer at five and I have taken over thirty kids hunting in the past 5 years. They have killed over 50 deer with my 223 and some of these were big mature bucks. Work on him shooting a 22. and then move him up. I weighted the stock of my synthetic and had the trigger adjusted to 3 lbs. This helps eliminate flinching. Put on behind the shoulder and that buck will be with in fifty yards. Good luck and hats off you. I wish I could take more kids hunting.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I WOULD NOTput him up in a stand first time. There are other serious andpotntially fatal things to bepaid attention to first time out.

ONE THING AT A TIME.

Put him on the ground in a well constructed ground blind. Construct it well before hunting out of it to "season" it in well (scent). Additionally, on the ground he will have more directional shot opportunities and can easily utilize some shooting sticks.

Now if you have some sort big floored tripod with railing - that might be a little different.

And yes I applaude you for doing this # 1 for & # 2 with your brother.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.