Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Topo Maps???

Old 01-03-2003, 04:21 PM

Default Topo Maps???

I do alot of elk hunting research using topo and forest service maps. There are a couple of new programs I've seen out that will show topo in 3D and allow you to download GPS coord's into your maps. Have any of you tried any of these programs. They sound like a great tool for pre-scouting an area, but thier also in the $100 and up range. The advantage is that one program covers the whole US and there's no need to buy individual maps for a bunch of hunt areas.

Life begins where the pavement ends!
Old 01-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Topo Maps???

I have been looking into the same thing. I saw one at a store and was amazed by the price. However, if you really think that the program will help you, and you can afford it, there is no reason not to get it.The program could actually save you money in the long run, becuase you wont need to get maps anymor. Just remember, needs and wants are two very different things.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:31 PM

Ah, gentlemen you've hit a topic near to my heart!

We use the Topo! program which is owned by Maps Illustrated and National Geographic. Last I looked the price was $99 per state (at least for Colorado). If you get the "data cable" for your GPS then you have the best of both worlds on a number of counts.

First, even if you have never been to an area you are going to scout you can mark the spots (called "waypoints&quot on the computer map and down load them into your GPS and track your way to these waypoints even though you have never set foot in those woods. Better yet you can connect the waypoints with a "route" and do a "trekking profile" to see how much vertical gain and loss you've signed up for before you even leave home.

Second, when you actually explore an area you can set a waypoint every quarter mile or so and then when you get back you can see on the computer map where you actually went versus where you thought you went. (Note: mark every elk carcass you come to if you want to get an idea of the kill zones.) We take a notebook computer to elk camp and then our different groups can share information each evening without using the usual directional generalities, guesstimates of distance, and hand gestures.

Third, the best hunting is always at the intersection of 4 preprinted maps. With the computer maps you can center the map where you want it versus your hunting. Your waypoints and routes and names will all show on the printed map. Consider printing the maps out on high resolution black and white laser. It works better than most color printers at showing the 3D shading that makes the topo visually "come up off the paper." Then take your map and seal it in either a GLAD storage bag or seal it with a "Food Saver" vacuum system for protection against the elements.

Fourth, I've had several "compass and map ONLY" hunters who have converted over to carrying BOTH compass/map AND GPS. I would recommend this.

Fifth, there are $90 to $140 GPS's available that work just great. For $400 you can get the "wonder GPS" with all the maps and Dairy Queens and Hotels and God only knows what else built into them. However, last I heard for elk hunting you are usually out in the boondocks and those are NOT the landmarks you are looking for. Go cheap, three cheap GPS's in your group beats one "wonder GPS."

Sixth, US military figured out the value of GPS a long time ago - - same advantages apply to hunting. Storm reducing the horizon to 100 feet? Pitch black outside and hiking to your morning "stand"? Which tree did you hang those elk quarters in? Where did you drop that pack? With a GPS you can be fearless on all these counts and once you really, really learn your area you'll need it less and less, but still a great back up. Low on weight and high on benefit. Can it fail, of course - - what can't? One more reason for multiple cheap ones versus one "wonder GPS."

I know it "ain't" traditional, but I'll take the military's approach and last I heard you can't shoot an elk with a GPS.

EKM

Good judgment comes from bad experience! Half of elk hunting is knowing what NOT to do!

Edited by - ELKampMaster on 01/04/2003 00:35:51
Old 01-04-2003, 09:12 AM

EKM;
Thanks for the reply. I'm already sold on the value of a GPS. I've been using one for the past couple years and it really does take the worry out of getting back to the truck at 9:00 pm when it's pitch black out. I also use it to mark guzzlers and downed animals etc. as you mentioned. The program you describe is just what I was looking at, and sounds like it's just what I want. Thanks again!!!

Life begins where the pavement ends!
Old 01-04-2003, 05:53 PM

GPS is the one tool after a good set of binos and your rifle that is a must have for me anymore. All the reaons mentioned are why I carry one, into the unknown AND the known. Got stuck in a whiteout last year during the off season rabbit hunting. I f I hadn'lt had mine, you wouldn't be hearing from me right now.

I got the Delorme set up on maps on CD, and generally like it. I have compared it to some hard copy maps I have, and they do miss some tiny trails that sho won older maps, but as for the contours, landmarks, vegetation etc... not much changes there.

I scout withthe GPS, and back to set the coordinates in the map maker, see where I have been and make copies when I am ready to head out for the hunt. One of the best tools you can get.

I wil lsay though, the Natl Geo set up is probably the better, having looked at it and compared, but not unhappy with what I got.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

I used the same program that EKM, is talking about. Purchased it for the Montana Elk hunt i went on this year. It was well worth the investment and it helped alot.

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/

"Im not a guide, but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently"
Old 01-05-2003, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I will add to this is be careful. I have been using GPS since they came out and a unit cost $5K. I have used several different mapping programs including Delorme and PMI and they all have their weak points, (the latest version shows my home about 500 feet from its actual location.) As a general rule they are fantastic but please read the manuals and learn as much as you can about their use before trusting your hunt or your life to them.

Coastie
"Children are tastier than Dogs or Goats and they're far easier for a Leopard to catch" Indian Magistrate Hari Prasad Tivari