Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Spring-fall paterns

Old 05-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Spring-fall paterns

i was out turkey hunting today and saw about 20 deer. Do you guys think that there goiing to change there core areas alot in the fall. Also has anyone seen deer sheding thier fur as well i saw a bunch of bald ones?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spring-fall paterns

It depends on what habitat is around for them to use. Generally there patterns do change but it can vary from 150 yards to 1 mile depending on the area. The deer I hunt around here move around 400 yards generally.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BuckRogers

It depends on what habitat is around for them to use. Generally there patterns do change but it can vary from 150 yards to 1 mile depending on the area. The deer I hunt around here move around 400 yards generally.
What does that mean exactly? Are you saying that you deer range just 400 yards during the season! That's from one side of a field to another... LOL!

I think you'd be shocked to know just how much your deer move and what the size of their range truly is. I assure you, many of the deer you see today will be miles down the road come summer and then fall.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigBuck28

Also has anyone seen deer sheding thier fur as well i saw a bunch of bald ones?
Yep, the deer have began the shedding process now. Obviously not all of them will shed their winter coats at the same time but the majority of our animals have began and we have noticed some with coats leaning much more towards their red summer coats.

Here's a pic from just 2 days ago of a buck that's just starting to look ratty as his old coat is shedding and new antlers begining.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:19 PM

Il cornfed although I dont nessesarly disagree with you about how far deer actually move from oneseason to the next. I wonder where you get your data from.
I believe deer migrate with the availabe food sources.How far those food sources are apart from season to season I could'nd guess.Here in Pa where I live it gets real cold so I like to hunt places that I know they will lay up in the morning sun.I also like to shed hunt edge cover that gets the most sun light.They seem to be good producers.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

So many of these questions are best answered with a great big "IT DEPENDS". (Not talking about diapers, either.)

Here in MT, my deer herd is in an entirely different habitat now than they will be in July-October. In fact, the spring deer herd is currently 1,000-2,000 feet in elevation and 1-5 miles from where they were in January. They will be furthest "in country" in about September, and closest to the roads in about March, and the distance between extremes, depending (there's that word again) on the individual deer it can be 1/2 mile to 10 miles.

I doubt it's that extreme in MA, but ... it depends. Get to know your local wildlife biologist, he will be able to give you more useful information than all the talking heads on this website combined.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:47 AM

i think they will change they always do for me anyway during the spring u will see them in fields and into the fall they seem for me anyway to head toward the mountains a way