Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what age to start

Old 04-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default what age to start

Sitting here bored so thought I would stir the pot a little,at what age do you take your kid deer hunting. I have been taking mine for 3 years now. He started coming with me at 4 and this year at age6, he had his gun with him. He didn't get a shot this year but was close. Being this young, everything would have to fall exactly right, of course the deer stopped 20 yards away and was behind a tree, he then kindaleaned his head around the tree and decided he'd better run when he saw us sitting there. Waiting for next year and in the mean time will have to settle for fishing.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:16 PM

Default RE: what age to start

My daughter is going on 2 years old, so I have not yet brought my little one hunting with me. I would guess, based on my own thoughts that you can bring your child hunting at a very young age and build from there. I will wait for if/when my daughter lets me know she is interested and go from there.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

If you bring them to young they may get bored with the whole idea of hunting. As for shooting, I wouldNOT let them shoot at game, noteven one day before they could hunt legal.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:53 PM

I have been bring my son for 2 yrs now and he just turned 8 a few weeks ago. I find that he is alot happier with his gameboy with headphones in the box stand than without. There attention is not there yet but if they stay busy its easier for us to stay on stand. He loves the woods and hunting but he is only allowed to bring a BB gun when we are not hunting. The gun is off limits til I feel that its safe to let him handle it with 100%. I am a very safety first person so my 2 cents is only worth 2 cents normally.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

My dad started taking me hunting with him when I was 5. He said if I was old enough to start school thenI was old enough to sit with him in the woods if I wanted to. Of course I did. Ever since that first day dadsaysI couldn't stop talking about it. Apperantly I still can't.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started taking my sons at 5, and both killed their first deer at 6.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:10 PM

That is the way I was. I was hooked from the start.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've allowed my kidsto go outand enjoy every aspect of hunting, from shed hunting, helping with the foodplots, checking the trail cams, roosting turkey, moving standsand about everything else in between. This seems to solidify their love and respect of the outdoors but I haven't let them hunt until later. In fact, my Daughter was 10 whenshe took her first deer and my sons will be 7 & 8 this season and will possibly have to wait just one more season before being allowed to actually shoot. The boys will probably go for their Hunters Safety Course this summer though.

My Daughter, now 11, seems to have really embraced this hunting thing!

First season hunting....

Second season....

Old 04-23-2007, 10:04 PM

My daughter is 12 years oldand hunts with me 2 to 3 times per year. although she is at my camp almost every weekend riding golf carts, fishing, etc.. I think some of the ages that you guys listed is way to young. Just my opinion though. The main reason so many young children are taken is because alotof wivesare demanding thatthe husband take the child and that makes everything o.k. for mama, which isnot enoughofa reason to endanger a child.A 4-10 year old child is not mentally capable of handling hunting in regards to loud gunshots, wounded animals flopping around etc. although they will try to act like it doesnt bother them because they do not want to disappoint daddy. I think you will see a loss of interest down the road. I have been President of a2000 acre exclusive hunting club inSE Alabama for 13 years and base some of my opinions on what I have seen. A 4 year old child was mistaken for a coyote while walking along side his dad in Macon County, Al. (Tuskegee, Alabama) right at dark about 5 years ago. This child was shot in the head with a 30.06 and he was immediately killed. This all took place on private land with "so called" experienced hunters who all happened to be family and friends. I was not willing to put my child in that danger at that young of age. Forums are for opinions and that was my 2 cents worth. Whatever you do with your child is your business.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

I've allowed my kidsto go outand enjoy every aspect of hunting, from shed hunting, helping with the foodplots, checking the trail cams, roosting turkey, moving standsand about everything else in between. This seems to solidify their love and respect of the outdoors but I haven't let them hunt until later. In fact, my Daughter was 10 whenshe took her first deer and my sons will be 7 & 8 this season and will possibly have to wait just one more season before being allowed to actually shoot. The boys will probably go for their Hunters Safety Course this summer though.

My Daughter, now 11, seems to have really embraced this hunting thing!

First season hunting....

Second season....
did your daughter shoot that buck? Thats huge. wow

Quick Reply: what age to start

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.