HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what age to start
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Chig Daddi

Default RE: what age to start

My daughter is 12 years oldand hunts with me 2 to 3 times per year. although she is at my camp almost every weekend riding golf carts, fishing, etc.. I think some of the ages that you guys listed is way to young. Just my opinion though. The main reason so many young children are taken is because alotof wivesare demanding thatthe husband take the child and that makes everything o.k. for mama, which isnot enoughofa reason to endanger a child.A 4-10 year old child is not mentally capable of handling hunting in regards to loud gunshots, wounded animals flopping around etc. although they will try to act like it doesnt bother them because they do not want to disappoint daddy. I think you will see a loss of interest down the road. I have been President of a2000 acre exclusive hunting club inSE Alabama for 13 years and base some of my opinions on what I have seen. A 4 year old child was mistaken for a coyote while walking along side his dad in Macon County, Al. (Tuskegee, Alabama) right at dark about 5 years ago. This child was shot in the head with a 30.06 and he was immediately killed. This all took place on private land with "so called" experienced hunters who all happened to be family and friends. I was not willing to put my child in that danger at that young of age. Forums are for opinions and that was my 2 cents worth. Whatever you do with your child is your business.