Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sabots

Old 04-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sabots

ORIGINAL: snedd162

the new hornady sst slugs because they can shoot as far as a rifle and still have the knockdown power of a shotgun
I won't bother to post any trajectory data but obviously a shotgun slug is not going to shoot as far as a rifle. Past 150-200 yards a shotgun slug falls FAST.

Maybe you actually believed this too........

BuckRogers

titleAndStar(184,0,false,false,"","")
Rack Buck

[align=center][/align]
The first shot was mine. It was my first year of hunting. I used a remington 870 20 gauge. A spike came along the trail my dad and I were set up on and stopped 2 1/2 feet away and started eating. I thought the click of the safety was going to spook it.
The second shot I witnessed happened this past season. I took my cousin out for the youth season and he shot a 5 pointer in the jugular with my muzzleloader. It dropped crawled ten yards and bled out all in about 4 seconds. The trail was about 3 feet wide and solid the whole way. I included the picture.

But by far the best shot was shotgun deer season in southern iowa. The guy whos land we were hunting on saw a doe running straight away 300 yards away. He took his shotgun "aimed" from the hip with his shotgun. Pulled the trigger and the doe disappeared. It was shot in the back of the head.
P.S.I try to stay on his good side.

Attachment (1)

[&o]
Old 04-08-2007, 07:03 PM

Default RE: Sabots

Well you guys have been an awesome help. Infact Paul you were right on track, the guy at the outfitter i bought the gun from said i could only shoot sabots. I was going to ask about the rifled slugs actually so you cleared my question up. I've def. spent the past couple days comparing different sabots, now i will have to compare rifled slugs. I don't know what i'd do without you guys lol