Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabots

Old 04-15-2004, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Sabots

I bought some barnes expander mz bullets to shoot out of my knight disc rifle. I am using 3 50 gr pellets and am not getting very good groups. After locating the bullet, I am finding that I am getting good expansion. They seem to be good hunting bullets but I am not happy with the accuracy. I was thinking of looking for a different bullet to use to obtain better accuracy. Any opinions from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks, Carpmaster.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sabots

You might want to drop your powder charge. Just because the rifle will shoot 150 grains of powder does not mean that is where your best accuracy will be. My T/C Black Diamond XR is a magnum rifle also, but the charges between 100-120 grains are the most accurate. Back it off to 100 grains and see what happens. That is still plenty of power to taken anything you want to shoot at.

I have never shot the Barnes but have read some excellent reviews on them. Another good bullet to try is the Hornady SST and the XTP. I have good luck shooting them.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

One question.........what size bullet are you using, the 250gr or the 300gr???

I'm assuming you are using Pyro Pellets - therefore I would suggest you drop your load to 2 pellets (100gr). I've gotten good accuracy out of the 300gr Barnes in my Knight USAK using 80gr of loose 777 powder and with 95 to 100gr of loose Pyro RS Powder. If you stick with the Pyro pellets, you are pretty much stuck with either using 2-50s or else find some 30gr pellets and then you could try a 3-30gr load (90gr). EITHER load will give you a better group than the 3-50 load.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:03 PM

I use the Knight Disc Extreme .50 with 150 grs Pyro. I have found after alot of rounds (and cleaning). that it is a picky with bullets. I have had the best luck with Thompson Center XTP's (a hornaday bullet). In target shooting I was getting 2.5" groups at 100 yds. In the field I dropped a buck at 175 with a shot through the heart. My advice is to keep shooting till you find what works for you gun. But give the XTP's a try there are also inexpensive.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my Disc I've been shooting T/C (Hornady) XTP's 250 grain with a Knight Black Sabot.Pushing it with two 50grain Pyrodex pellets. I've gotten good results .I've shot two deer with is combo. One dropped in his tracks. The other went maybe 30 feet.I personally see no need in using the 150 grain max charge.Lowering your powder charge may do the trick for you.I agree with Mark Whiz.Try a different combination of pellets sizes.They come in 30 and 50 grain.You should be able to find the right load mixing and matching pellet sizes.
Ruger Redhawk