Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New deer slug for 2007!!!!

Old 04-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New deer slug for 2007!!!!

I have shot over $150 worth of slugs when i sighted in my Rem. 870 WM with a Hastings Paradox 1:34 twist 24" cantilever rifled barrel. mounted up top is a 2 ring mount Aimpoint 9000SC red dot.I did my shooting from a "lead sled" at targets 50 yards away. slugs tested were the following; 3" Rottweil Brenneke golds, 2 3/4" Hornady SST's, 2 3/4" Winchester Partition Golds, 2 3/4" Winchester Platinum Tips, 3" Federal Barnes Expanders, 3" Lightfield ( blue white and red box, i forgot the names), 2 3/4" Rem. Core Lokt Ultras, 3" Rem. copper solids, 3" Rem. Buckhammers.

Out of my setup the buckhammers were hands down the most accurate, shooting 1in. 3 shotclover leaf groups at 50yds, or 2MOA. the brennekes i would say came in second being able to keep all its slugs with in a CD's diameter. the same goes for the rem. copper solids as well, however i would usually get one flyer out of every box of 5. As for the rest, to be honest, they shot HORRIBLE these new high velocity slugs with a premuim price are worthless in my setup! i think is due to my 1:34 twist rate barrel however. If your going to be shooting these newsabots that aremoving at 1700fps and greater, your rifled barrel best have a twist of 1:28!!! Out of my setup these slugs wouldnt group into a 5gal. pail at 50yds, and the SST's, some even completly missed the target!I say screw all the hype and stick to what works. I love the buckhammers, great knock down power, very accurate, and flat shooting out to 150 yds. and a good price. I'll savethe SST's for muzzleloading, its a muzzleloading bullet anyways
Old 04-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ReDoT, from the results you posted I would bet regular old 2-3/4" Remington Sluggers or Reduced Recoil Sluggers would have faired better than most. Maybe a 3rd, 4th place finish?

Have to ask though - were you cleaning your barrel often and starting each type of slug with a fresh clean & cooled barrel?

Also are not the faster slugs better in rifling which is slower like your Hastings?

When you posted "wouldn't group into a 5 gallon pail", I had to laugh! I can shoot standing with any of my smoothbore pumpsand put fosters into a 5 gal pail at 50 yards.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:44 PM

I have wondered about the new wave of slugs myself. I don't see the need for the new rapid expanders, ballistic tip, etc. slugs. And I sure dont see the need to charge $2.50 a piece.Find one that works, and umm......stay with it.

Anybody who has seen firsthand what the 'old style' fosters will do willget what I'm saying.

When you posted "wouldn't group into a 5 gallon pail", I had to laugh! I can shoot standing with any of my smoothbore pumpsand put fosters into a 5 gal pail at 50 yards.
I have been wondering since I started on this site how some people can determine the max. range of a smoothbore slug to be 50 yards. Maybe us Illinoisians are just naturally better shooters?
Old 04-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: il coyote

I have wondered about the new wave of slugs myself. I don't see the need for the new rapid expanders, ballistic tip, etc. slugs. And I sure dont see the need to charge $2.50 a piece.Find one that works, and umm......stay with it.

Anybody who has seen firsthand what the 'old style' fosters will do willget what I'm saying.

I have been wondering since I started on this site how some people can determine the max. range of a smoothbore slug to be 50 yards. Maybe us Illinoisians are just naturally better shooters?
Uncle Matt clears his throatWell, scientifically,that is entirely possible.

As to what the "old-style" foster slugs will do - in all my years of deer hunting I have never shot a deer and said, "Oh darn if only I had a better slug!"

Any of the regular old 20 or 12 gauge foster slugs,properly placedwill kill any deer - no matter what size. I also have seen no great increase in accuracy in the trendy new offerings of sabots that have kept (and will keep) popping up all the time. Trendy slugs for trendy people I guess.

Bet a bag of nickles that there will be at least 1 or 2 "new" & "improved" or "faster" sabots offered before 2008 season rolls around and probobly a couple slug specific guns, too.

"OH! New? Improved? Faster? I gotta get some of that!"

Followed by a bunch of the same old questions..........

What slug should I shoot in my new Kendrick Slug Daddy? Who else bought a new Kendrick Slug Daddy & what do you shoot out of it? What kind of results are you getting? etc.... etc.... etc....

There should be a new forum topic titled........

BEFORE YOU ASK (OK - I'll take the credit now, thank you, thank you )

and the mods could take the most popular/frequently asked questions and post them in there. Such as......

"Should I break-in a new barrel?"

"How to break in a new barrel?"

"What slug/bullet should I use?"

"Is this enough gun for whatever?"

Old 04-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe us Illinoisians are just naturally better shooters?
I have to agree . Actually I have been using foster slugs since I've been hunting and taken alot of deer with them. My 870, smooth bore with rifle sightsprefers the Winchester slugs and my 1187 with a fully rifled barrel topped with a Nikon 2x7x32 Prostaff likes the Remington sluggers. I've taken deer out to 137 yards with my 1187. To be honest I don't want to pissss off our fellow hunters with the comment about us Illinois hunters being a better shot. We've adapted because for years we've only been allowed to hunt with shotguns and smoke poles during the firearm seasons. Handguns have been since added. I'm confident in my foster slugs, get good groups, and am happy the way I shoot with them. I'll keep using them until they quit making them. To each his own.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

yes i did clean the barrel often, after every box (5 rounds), i inspected the barrel. it was spotless everytime with the exeption of the brennekes, they foul the barrel with leadBAD.dont get me wrong tho, they are great slugs.. i did also forget to add, i had an OLD box of the 3" federal "HI SHOK" foster slugs, they were acceptable. grouping slightly less than the brennekes and copper solids
Old 04-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

but i do agree with you guys, fosters work great too, I can shoot them fairly accurately out to 70-75yds with rifle sights from a smoothbore, past that i wouldnt take a shot at a deer however. i do like full bore bullets over the smaller saboted ones too, thats also why i like the buckhammer, itssabot is mostlybehindthe slug and stays attached acting like a badmittn bird, it really doesnt matter i guess, it works for me! as far as what i said about the 5gal bucket. i dont care how good of a shot you are, if you dont correctly stablize a bullet, it will tumble and be WAY of target. also, in general, faster velocities require FAST twist rates, thats why my .223 the twist is 1:9. and illinois isnt alone in the shotgun only zone, i hunt 500 acresin south western MN and its been shotgun/muzzleloader only for all the 13 years ive hunted
Old 04-09-2007, 08:25 AM

JOKING!!!!!!!!

I think I was just mainly adding that part into reference to the crowd that calls 50 yards the max range of ANY foster/smoothbore combo.I cant help but wonder if some of those replies come from guys who have never used them. If you ask any seasoned hunter from ANY shotgun only area and you get responses that sometimes double the '50 yard max.'
Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

JOKING!!!!!!!!

I think I was just mainly adding that part into reference to the crowd that calls 50 yards the max range of ANY foster/smoothbore combo.I cant help but wonder if some of those replies come from guys who have never used them. If you ask any seasoned hunter from ANY shotgun only area and you get responses that sometimes double the '50 yard max.'
I think that it's likely that many of the 50 yard foster club are using a BB sighted shot barrel - not a rifled sight smooth bore slugbarrel that usually comes in the combo packages that are quite popular.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

i dont know if you guys were refering to me or not but i stated i sighted my gun in at 50 yards, not once did i stated that its the max range. when sighting in, i dont start at 100 yards, it would cost 20,30,50 dolla just to start getting holes in the paper! anyone who spends some time behind the trigger knows this.but for what its worth, i set my zero at 50 yards anyways, most all my shots at deerare under 75 yards anyways do to the terrain that i hunt.just because a friend of a friend that you know shot a running buck at 150yards or what ever distance, doesnt make it a justifiable shot. i mean, you couldsteer your car with your feet if you wanted too, but it doesnt make it a good idea. in my books the best hunters are the ones who shoot the least, and the one who take the longer shots tend to shoot the most! in my 13 years of slug hunting i have never missed a deer i shot at, and of those deer, all went down with one slug, with the exception of 1 deer that took 2.

Quick Reply: New deer slug for 2007!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.