Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shedded antlers

Old 03-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: shedded antlers

ORIGINAL: DUMB BASS

I could say that you didn't really try. If you've only spent 8 hours in 2 years looking for sheds, you aren't trying. I spend 8 hours a weekend looking for em easily. They don't just jump in your pocket, it takes a lot of boot leather, and time to find em.

I have 14 sheds this year, and probably more than 100 hours looking. 3 matched sets that go 120-150.

I realize that in PA you may not find as many, but they are there. Especially since the AR's.
Yes I have deffinatly tried to find sheds. I haven't litearlly kept track of how many hours I have spent looking, but with school, homework, sports, and all the other distractions, I really dont have a lot of extra time on my hands. Plus the area I have permission to hunt is only about 10 acres, so I search every square inch of the property.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:39 PM

Bass sounds like your off to a good start.I've walked maybe 30 miles so far and have 4 to my credit and 1 of those was laying next to my feeder in my back yard.Pa is such a heavily hunted state that sheds are hard to come by even for a well experienced shed hunter.Its very easy to get discouraged here.But your right they are here. Finding them is 25% luck and the rest dedication and perseverance.
My point to you bass is this.Its easy to be condescending and negative.Instead why not be helpful and positive.You sound like you know how to find sheds so why not help beginners out.Every year since I've been on the internet I have typed instructions atleast 10 times a season on how to find them.So thats probably 70 times I've done that.Sometimes it gets old but when someone posts photos and details of there finds then its all worth it.Bowhunter keep looking and if you have any questions feel free to ask.Good luck
Old 03-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

I wasn't being condecending. I got 2 kids under 4, a full time job, and numerous other responsiblities too. If you hunt deer 12 hours a year do you really expect to shoot a wall hanger? Same applies to shed hunting. I was being truthful. If you look for sheds an average of 4 hours a year, you aren't gonna find any. I'll be happy to help anyone find a shed and give all the tips I know, but with that amount af time spent, and you quit looking I wouldn't bet on you finding one either. I'm no master shed hunter, and I hunt mostly public land here in IL, if you ain't burning boot leather you aren't gonna find em. Sometimes the truth sucks. Like findinbone says, "get out there and keep lookin."

BTW PA has significantly more public land than IL. I think we rank 48th or 49th in public land per capita. Hike it and you'll find em.