Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

shedded tail feathers

Old 12-15-2006, 12:38 PM

Default shedded tail feathers

Do pheasants shed their tailfeathers or pull them off? I see spots where they lay with tons of long tailfeathers in it. Why do they do this?I was just wondering. Thanks
Old 12-17-2006, 08:06 PM

Default RE: shedded tail feathers

Is this a stupid question or does no one know?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I currently have pheasants in a pen and only see them fighting and get one pulled out once in a while. I am suspecting that something like a fox or bobcat or something tried to catch it and only got the tail of it. I am no way a pro at this so it is only my guess.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Spike

I'm no expert, but have been told that under stress a pheasant will "drop" it's tailfeathers. I've actually had this happen while stocking birds. Ie: reached in to the box to grab the bird, and all the feathers on its' rear fell off in big clump.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:12 PM

It's a mystery tome. I have been pondering it for a while. They are all in one spot where it looks like a pheasant was laying. There's just clumps of them--rooster and hen. Either the pheasant pulls them out or it was eaten by something, which I highly doubt. Lots of foxes live around there. I see these feathers all the time and will let you know if I figure it out. The one thing I can tell you for certain is that they were pulled out. It does not look like a bird died there at all. I'll keep you posted. Any further help would be appreciated.