Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you skin a deer?  Head up or down? >

How do you skin a deer? Head up or down?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Skin from the head down with the deer hanging by it's head.
15.48%
Skin from the rear down with the deer hanging by it's hind legs.
84.52%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

How do you skin a deer? Head up or down?

Old 03-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do you skin a deer? Head up or down?

Well, this is another topic that I never would have thought of until I read this board.

Growing up we always hung the deer up by the hind legs and skinned them from the back legs forward. That's just the way we did it. Never saw anyone else skin a deer and never thought anything of it. We cut a slit down from where you already had the deer open from field dressing it to the back knee, got it started and just pulled it down over the shoulders and neck and then cut the head off after you got it down to the end of the neck.

Reading some threads and seeing how people have deer hung up it looks like others may skin deer from the head down.

I'm just curious whether I'm in the minority on this or not.

Nathan
Old 03-06-2007, 03:47 PM

Default RE: How do you skin a deer? Head up or down?

always hang them from the rear
Old 03-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have butchered all my own deer for thelast 20 years, and all have been skinned from the hind legs down to the head while hanging from the rear hocks.... except for one,.. the first dear I did the other way and realized pretty quick that it had to be easier the other way.
I haven't tried thegolf ball trick myself yet but have seen it done a a freshly killed deer....it looked pretty slick.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hung them from the neck before but have always skinned them with the hind feet up and skinned from the tail to the head

[/align]
Old 03-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

i guess im the only "head up" guy so far.

thats the way my father does it, thats the way his father did it, and im going to guess his father did it the same way. Cut from the chest cavity up as far as possible on the neck and then all the way around. Then once you get past the neck it all folds down keeping the hair off the meat. I dont see a need to flip the deer over, I dont see how head down would make it any easier.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't expect it to be this lopsided! I was way in the minority on my last question about waiting before going after a deer when you shoot it so I thought this might be the same way.

We always hung our deer with their head down from the start. We didn't hang them by the head and then flip them over to skin them. Sometimes if the weather was above freezing we would put a piece of wood to hold the body cavity open to let it cool but I'm not sure if that was useful or not and didn't happen very often in Northeast Montana (usually you didn't need to worry about a freezer during hunting season).

Old 03-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always skinned from tail endto head end. Just because??? Haven't tried the golf ball thing yet either.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta hang em by the hind legs! Less time consuming!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Dominant Buck

You can do it with an ATV or Truck. Here is Awsucks from the Crossbow Forum doing it with an ATV.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

head up

Quick Reply: How do you skin a deer? Head up or down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.