Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you skin a deer?  Head up or down? >

How do you skin a deer? Head up or down?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Skin from the head down with the deer hanging by it's head.
15.48%
Skin from the rear down with the deer hanging by it's hind legs.
84.52%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

How do you skin a deer? Head up or down?

Old 03-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do you skin a deer? Head up or down?

Head down .... if you are hanging them for any amount of time, like Denny said, you want the blood draining from the hinds .... at least that's the way me pappy always taught me
Old 03-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Denny

As long as temperature averages at least 38 degrees,cut throat, andI hang head down for three days. It Keeps blood out of hind quarters.If I have to hang it outdoors and exspect rain, I hang head up as hair grows down and the rain runs down and off.When I can hang insideI skin right away and hang head down. when it is warm I don't fool around , it gets butchered.
why would you ever cut a deers throat?if you gut the deer it will bleed all it going to,unless you wait a long time . hanging head up for rain makes no sense either , rain wont hurt the hide either way.

i would never hang a deer by its neck because i save all of my capes ,my best friend is a taxidermist hae takes them all. taking extra capes to your taxidermist is a great way to get discounts on your mounts. he will always find a need for capes whencustomers shoot or cut there's up.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

hang'em head up
skin'en hed down
Old 03-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

im part owner in a custom killing and processing slaughter house and we do both. For my own personal deer I skin from the hide legs down. We process deer for hunters for the hungry and we skin those from the neck down. But its not really skinning. I cut the front shoulder hide away and up around the neck in the circle, then hook a pair of welding vice grips on the hide which fastens to the floor. Then raise the deer by its neck with a hoist while the hide peels right off like a rabbit. I can skin faster the other way though from the rear down, but when you have 30 deer to do ina few hours the hoist and clamp makes it much easier on the hands! We processed 200 deer just for hunters for the hungry this season just to try it out.

like said above, if you want to mount a deer, then you must skin from the hides down since you can cut around the neck lol

Old 03-07-2007, 07:20 PM

i started hunting many years well 27 years ago and nobody tought me how to skin ., so i hung it head first., have done so thruout the years., but when there is one for mounting ., or wanting the hide.,then i hang hind up., maybe cause i have done it for many years with the head up ., i do have some troubles skining with the hind qts up.,(but thats just me) ., i do know that for me, i get less hair when i hang the deer up from its hind qts.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:04 AM

In reply:srwshooter.

Sometimes,even up here, during the day it will warm up and by making a cut the blood will run out on floor not hang in deer.As far as rain, I don't hang that way to protect hide. I just don't like to get meat wet. Each his own.
Sometimes I remove windpipe then also.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Denny. I see what you are saying.. some dont spit the rib cage down far enough and blood also tends to sit in there if you hang the deer from the hind also. Cutting the neck for draining definitly cant hurt anything. On cattle thats how we do it. But they are still somewhat kicking and by cutting the neck all the blood pumps out but we hang them also while its still pumping to. If a deer's been dead for awhile, then cutting the neck wont help much blood get out since its already clotted in there.

to each his own and if something works for you fine, then by all means keep doing it
Old 03-08-2007, 08:00 AM

We are on same page.usually after first day it is fairly well dried up. Splitting the chest is ,I think really important,Forgot about that, in fact I throw a board in there to keep spread and let air in.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntboy3181

if you shoot a buck that you want to mount, how can hang it any way but by the hind legs? you can't have that rope mark around the neck.
I have never had that problem. never shot anything worth paying for a mount for.
And i cut around the neck anyway, so the rope mark wouldnt really be the problem, seeing as there is no hide connected to the head to protect anyway
Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

i hang him from the neck the use the ol' golf ball trick