Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Problem is.... I have to much property. >

Problem is.... I have to much property.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Problem is.... I have to much property.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Problem is.... I have to much property.

I am fortunate to hunt family property, no one hunts it but me.
But its tooooooooooo much. I feel like i got to be in two places at once. 4500acres. 5 concession rd's, alot of deer, but always seem to get tag soup!! October 1st to December 31stwe can bow hunt, November 12-19th we can shotgun hunt, but i dont, the neigbours do some damage but not enough to make a difference.

QUESTION: Where do i concentrate my time? at what time of the year?
2007....Its my year, I know it.

Southern, Ontario

I've been Bowhunting for 12 years and my report is 15does 6 bucks.
BUT THERE ARE TONES OF MONSTERS HERE. My biggest is 132"
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

help
Old 03-05-2007, 09:20 PM

Default RE: Problem is.... I have to much property.

Wow! Thats a bad position to be in,,,lol. I guess I would start by trying to locate what the deer are eating, I mean if there are large fields of good grass, or whatever thay feed on there. I wouldnt try to cover all the land, just the best portions of the land,, and it will take you years to learn it all, you will probably learn more each season about how the der travel on your property. Try to find a few really good spots, and scout them thoroughly, find the food and beds, and how they get to both. I guess what Im trying to say, if this makes any sense, dont look at the big picture,, instead, look at several small pictures. Oh if you need help,, Id be happy to help ya cover that much land. Don t let it intimidate you, just keep on learning it, I dont have nearly that much land to hunt, and Ive hunted it for 20 + years, and each year, I learn more about what the deer do. Good luck , and I hope I helped a little.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:26 PM

After reading your post again,, I thought Id add,, spend time in the summer watching fields if possible to see what is feeding there. It will help you get an idea if whats there, the direction it is coming from, and the buck to doe ratio. Hunt around food early season and late. When the rut is kicking in and in full swing, hunt the areas where you have seen the highest number of does. When they get ready to breed, the bucks will be where the does are, the rest of the time, they are concerned with being safe, and having a full stomach.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:38 PM

Ditto what Angus said and add flying me in from Iowa to help scout and hunt

All I ask is a spot on the floor to sleep and occassional table scraps for the opportunity to hunt that kind of place!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, be GREATFUL. With hunting the way it has become, overrun with POSTED signs and landowners that will not let us hunters hunt on their land, be happy that you have lots of land to yourself. Dont ever think you have too much. You have a beautiful opportunity that most of us would die for. You have tons and tons of unhunted land. Dont ever think that is a bad thing. If you do your scouting and find out where the deer is you will realize that lots of land without hunting pressure is GREAT compared to public hunting lands. Do your homework, look for sign, and you will be racking up monsters in no time. You dont need to be everywhere at once. Find a spot that has activity and stay there. Dont take all that land for granted.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

pm me ill come help ya out on your little problem.... ANYTIME!!!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 04:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do you have any hardwood ridges? They are a magnet to big deer in the fall. It is really good to hunt them after a light rain here. Look for an area with thick fur trees near by and just keep a watch over it. The deer here normally follows the same trails and watching this you should be able to see one come out for you. Good Luck
Old 03-06-2007, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I was lucky enough to have a problem like your's is it really listed as a problem?? Well I would start by going to www.mytopo.com and you can fly over your property from above and find the the true funnel areas. If you want want to score on that much property you have to find where the deer will be forced, and funnels are the best place. Then find your food source and then the bedding and look at your funnels and it will all of a sudden come togather. Walt
Old 03-06-2007, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

If you need any help hunting that land, just let me know!

-

I would try the topo-maps, and also try setting up trail cameras to see if and exactly how often they do frequent the areas you "think" they go.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Bartender

Hunt the edges with the wind right

Quick Reply: Problem is.... I have to much property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.