Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NRA does do for hunters....

Old 03-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NRA does do for hunters....

Actually Tryk just listed a bunch of "acts" that the NRA "supported." Newsflash! Everybody else supported the same things! It wasn't like the NRA was the driving force behind the Federal Government owningland, or a new law allowing disabled people to hunt. Kinda cracks me up how the NRA takes credit for every act that gets passed.

Pathetic. I mean really, how stupid do they think we are? It's pretty easy to say "Oh yeah, I support this... and thattoo..and this... I supported that too... blah blah blah." But when push comes to shove, and it's time to put the $$$ where their mouth is, the NRA is a dry sandwich. Ask gotlost. He says he worked for Jakes, which is one of thepremier youth hunting programs in the country. How many prizes did they buy? Zero.How many employees did they send out to help? Zero.

Besides, I thinkthis "rhetoric" is a little eye-opening. Obviously you do too, or otherwise you wouldn't have been inclined to respond. Then again, I'm just making all this stuff up.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:48 PM

the only reason I responded was to correct you. saying the NRA doesnt do anything for the hunting community solely because they dont do as much as other organizations is a flawed argument.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

quiksilver if you use a single gun to go hunting then I deem you a hypocrite. Also why is one the NRA magazines a HUNTING magazine? Man I sure would like to meet the man that can shoot a duck on the fly with a bow...
Old 03-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver
Many donors losesight of the fact thatmany of the NRA's key funded initiativesactually contravene the interests ofstate and local law enforcement (i.e.heightened registration requirements, expansive criminal background checks, tighter gun transfer laws, etc..). I just can't see donating to an organization that undermines the efforts of law enforcement,indirectly causing taxpayer dollars to be wasted in courtfighting thesebattles.
Perhaps the NRA is against more registration, more criminal checks, and more gun transfer laws is because these useless laws are AGAINST the Second Amendment, and don't do a thing to prevent crime!

Hunting organizations are good, but if the Second Amendment ever falls, will ALL hunting NOT be far behind!

As far as asking for donations, nobody is FORCING you to donate! But if you are not helping to defend the Second Amendment, then you are helping to distroy it! Is the NRA the only way? No, but it is the best/strongest voice we have!
4 million NRA members out of almost 100 million gun owners, if ONLY half the gun owners were NRA members you would NEVER hear the words "gun ban" again!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:15 PM

"Before I went to medical school I was a Foreign Service Officer with the U.S. Department of State and when the "jack booted thugs" remark was made I decided I did not want to be associated with an organization that felt that way towardsmy co-workers and myself."

The term "jack booted thug" was thrown at the ATF by none other that pro-gun US Representative John Dingell(D) of Michigan. The NRA picked up on it. Doc, i respectfully submit, that after the state of Kalifornia gets all of those dastardly "assault weapons" and "sniper rifles" off the street,you will whine to the high heavens when they come for your "hunting guns:""Where is the NRA?"
Old 03-07-2007, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

4 million NRA members out of almost 100 million gun owners, if ONLY half the gun owners were NRA members you would NEVER hear the words "gun ban" again!
The fact that only 4% of gun owners have elected to join the NRA speaks volumes about what kind of an organization the NRA is. If the leadership of the NRA was capable ofeven a minimal amount of introspection they would be asking themselves why in a countryof100 million gun owners and 13 million hunters only 4 million peoplehave become members of the NRA. It is certainly not for lack of trying on the NRA's part; who hasn't recieved invitations in the mail askingthe recipientto join the NRA and warning of dire consequences ifthey do not?Yet after decades of intensive recruiting the NRA has only enrolled a very small percentage of both gun owners and hunters as members. There has to be a reason for this.

Caldoc
Old 03-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 03-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Good points Lost. I've worked on several pro-bono environmental initiatives in law school, and I can assure you that there was never an NRA dollar that trickled our way for those efforts. I've also worked with DU, NWTF and Pheasants Forever - again, I've never heard any of those guys mention NRA funding. Why? Because there is none.
NRA is PRIMARILY a 2nd Amendment organization. It is not primarily a hunting organization. So what? They do have a pro hunting agenda in addition to their 2nd Amendment efforts. If they choose to support certain hunting efforts and initiatives, but fail to support every hunting organization out there, well, it's probably because there are 96 million gun owners out there who should be members, but are letting 4 million carry their weight on 2nd amendment issues.

Caldoc -Good points. Many donors losesight of the fact thatmany of the NRA's key funded initiativesactually contravene the interests ofstate and local law enforcement (i.e.heightened registration requirements, expansive criminal background checks, tighter gun transfer laws, etc..). I just can't see donating to an organization that undermines the efforts of law enforcement,indirectly causing taxpayer dollars to be wasted in courtfighting thesebattles.
Why should I, who have never been charged or convicted of any crime, be forced to submit to registration, "expansive" background checks, and tighter transfer laws? It is patently absurd. The kinds of tighter transfer laws that have been proposed would preclude my son inheriting my guns. Registration is just a foot in the door toward confiscation. And don't tell me I'm making slippery slope arguments. It's happened already. And, I'd really like some proof that imposing those kind of restrictions on law abiding citizens (who are the only ones who will submit to them anyway) somehow "undermines law enforcement." That's just BS.

I would urge ANY NRA member who wants to see his/her donations directed at pro-hunting initiatives or conservation efforts, to discontinue their membership and join a credible, proven huntingorganization (Izaak Walton, SCI, NWTF, DU, PF, etc..)or even donate to your state's fish and game commission (earmarking your donations to be used for public-access land or whatever program that you find most important). Your dollars will go a lot further.
Tell you what... You guys join a 2ndAmendment group and I'll join a hunting group. If you're a gun owner and you're not part of a 2nd Amendment group, then you are simply not carrying your weight. It's nice that you belong to one or more hunting organizations. But, what do they do for 2nd Amendment issues? I'd bet they don't do nearly as much for 2nd Amendment as NRA does for hunting. You guys continue slacking on 2nd Amendment issues, and eventually, we'll be back to hunting with rocks.

If you think I'm lying, call your local Pheasants Forever chapter and ask them how many birds were ever paid for by the NRA. Or maybe ask how many prizes were ever donated at a NWTF event by the NRA. Zero.
That makes me curious. How many prizes do Pheasants Forever and NWTF donate at NRA events? Zero?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Californiadoctor

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

The fact that only 4% of gun owners have elected to join the NRA speaks volumes about what kind of an organization the NRA is. If the leadership of the NRA was capable ofeven a minimal amount of introspection they would be asking themselves why in a countryof100 million gun owners and 13 million hunters only 4 million peoplehave become members of the NRA. It is certainly not for lack of trying on the NRA's part; who hasn't recieved invitations in the mail askingthe recipientto join the NRA and warning of dire consequences ifthey do not?Yet after decades of intensive recruiting the NRA has only enrolled a very small percentage of both gun owners and hunters as members. There has to be a reason for this.

Caldoc
I suspect it's because the vast majority don't own weapons that have been targeted by bans and confiscations yet. So, they figure they'll sit idly by on the sidelines letting other pull their weight. The Brady Bunch has started talking about "sniper rifles" now... They're after .30-30's for pete's sake. They're talking about bans of rifles that are so accurate they can hit "within millimeters at distances over 100 meters." Come on. That's every hunting rifle on the market. But don't worry. You can sit back and let others do the work.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:51 AM

"I suspect it's because the vast majority don't own weapons that have been targeted by bans and confiscations yet. So, they figure they'll sit idly by on the sidelines letting other pull their weight. The Brady Bunch has started talking about "sniper rifles" now... They're after .30-30's for pete's sake. They're talking about bans of rifles that are so accurate they can hit "within millimeters at distances over 100 meters." Come on. That's every hunting rifle on the market. But don't worry. You can sit back and let others do the work."

Justwait untilthe "sniper rifle" ban and the new and improved "assault weapons" ban get throughthe US congress. When all of thoseleft leaning "hunters" find out that their hunting rifles and Benelli shotguns arebeing confiscated by the very folks that they voted for they will all whine in unison: "Why didn't the NRA do something."

Quick Reply: NRA does do for hunters....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.