Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting >

Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

Old 03-03-2007, 09:52 AM

Default RE: Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: PEAKRUT

To each his own, we all need to stay united regardless.
BINGO!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm on the fence on this one! (Pun intended! )

In some ways, a high fenced 5,000 acres isn't a lot different from a low fenced 5,000 acres of private land that you control access to and only allow a very limited amount of hunting on. In both circumstances there will probably be quite a few deer that rarely if ever leave the property other than the outside fringes.

Most of the true high fenced rances are more for exotic stuff that you need to keep from being able to get out for regulatory reasons IMO. If you were strictly managing for record book deer you would probably be better off with a low fence if you had that much property.

My 2 cents.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:22 AM

I hunted a High fence trophy place once. It was one of these deals where the price you pay depended on the size of the buck you shot. It was maybe a 100-150 acres ( its been a few years now and I can't find the place on the web anymore) Over the yearsI had shot some nice bucksbut, I thought it would be cool to have taken a larger buck like you see on those videos.

before everyone goes off on me. I have hunted deer for 26 years now. I live in NY state and hunt in NY, western mass, VT and a few times in NH, mostly all on public land. I do some bowhunting and stand hunting but my love is big woods Benoint style tracking in the snow.. so I know how to work for deer.

I hunt hard and have decent success as far as taking deer goes but as I hunt on public land, mostly big woods, taking big racked bucks is challangeing. Taken a few nice ones but I would guess none would make it to the 140s.

So I had some extra cash and I went to the place down in PA, It was a two day hunt and on the second day I shot a pretty nice buck. I never had it offically measured but based uponwhat thepreserve saidit was170 class.

Guess what.. it was totally unrewarding. First I spent several thousand dollars. Second I didn't feel like I earned anything. in fact it felt a little dirty. In the end I sold the mount soI could finance a moose hunt last year.

If folks want to do that sort of thing its ok. As for me next time fate hands me 5 grand I will be hunting elk out west.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I am against it but feel that it is a decision the individual needs to make. By against it I mean to say that I am against killing deer or exotics behind a fence where there isn't fair chase. I consider that type of harvest the same as livestock slaughter and it shouldn't be confused with hunting. The operation Noknees went to must be typical of those businesses and fees are given dependent on the quality of the trophy. Picking a 170" buck out of a book and having them put you in position to kill it isn't hunting. I respect NoKnees feelings about it and the way he told the story. Selling the mount was probably the only way to ease the guilt and move on. I would feel the same way.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

ORIGINAL: TexasOaks

I am against small pen hunting. Answer me this though, would peoplestill put up high fence areas if so many people didnt shoot one and half year old bucks, two and half year old bucks. The stats on these bukcs getting killed is outrageious.

Fencing gives hunters ability to manange wildlife. I am not saying all fencing is good but used the right way by hunters on a big enough property couldprove to be useful for allowing bucks to mature. Now Texas is putting up antler restictions in lots of counties which I am a big fan of.My county has restrictions (Thank goodness).
why is it outrageous for a hunter to legally take a 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 year old buck!!!!!!

some people don't hunt for "trophies", they hunt for food. i guess you don't eat your deer, just brag on their heads...right? antlers are nice but no matter how long you boil, grill or fry'm....you still can't eat them.
Have you heard of does? I eat lots of deer meat. Some time you might have to check out QDM. It's catching on in a lot of places. Just ease up man, it is just another view point.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

same ol stuff..nuff said
Old 03-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If i were to fence in 1000 acres it wouldnt be to keep the deer in.It would be to keep lowlife tresspassers out.The dirtbags think they can go anywhere they please when nobody is looking.They are the same ones crying about illegal immigrants.Mabe if they got a job they could buy some land of there own.
ORIGINAL: il coyote

I've always wondered that if large parcels(1,000's of acres) are supposedly just as challenging as free range hunts to the point of the fence being irrelevant, why even have the fence at all?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:34 PM

must be nice
Old 03-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find high fence huntersare frequentlythe people that really aren't very goodhunters. The ones that have hunted 20 years without seeing any deer in the woods. The ones that walk into the woods about dinner time breaking limbs and talking with an ice box in one hand and a cell phone in the other. They just can't seem to find the timeto invest inpreseason scouting and researchfora successful, quality hunt. For the right price you can harvest a trophy animal with little or no hunting abilities.Similar tohunting in a zoo with more acreage and fewer people. I have no problem with a fenced hunt for handicapped sportsman, but for a healthy human to buy game then shoot it isn't much of a hunter or sportsman. I'm fairly certain the story he tells when returning home will have no mention of the fence, just the trophy game and how hard they had to hunt to find such a fine specimen.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: PEAKRUT

To each his own, we all need to stay united regardless.
BINGO!
I agree with Dan who agrees with me who agrees with PEAKRUT [8D]

Quick Reply: Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.