Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting >

Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

Old 03-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

Texas offers drawing hunts every year on Wildlife managment areas, these WMA's are high fenced manged areas, some are quite large. Here are the results from these hunts, overall average was 50% success rate. Heres he link. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/statistics/2005/
Old 03-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

Do any of those that oppose high fence hunting do any hunting on private land?

If someone wants to "hunt" (and I use that term loosely) on their ownprivate exclusive area and shoot farm raised animals, that is their right, but when they start trying to compare that to true hunting, I have a problem with that.

By excluding others from their property they take all the competition out of the equation and the deer don't even know to be afraid of people.

I have never hunted in Fisher county, so I will need direction to your 160 acres since it will be open to the public. You can PM or email me direct, but I guess that would exclude the other guys on the board. You can just post the directions on here so we all can come hunt with you. Thanks for the invitation!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've yet to shoot the first shot or loose the first arrow on that property. When I do I'll probably just stick to shootingdeer like farm animals because I would keep it private property.

Maybe I need to high fence it first, then you would never want to step foot on it. [&:]
Old 03-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

I've yet to shoot the first shot or loose the first arrow on that property. When I do I'll probably just stick to shootingdeer like farm animals because I would keep it private property.

Maybe I need to high fence it first, then you would never want to step foot on it. [&:]
Don't worry I don't really want to hunt yours or anyone elses places. I have 700 acres here in east Texas and 1200 acres in nw Oklahoma, and yes, it is private family land. Here in Texas, my brother, my youngest son and I are the only ones hunting. In Oklahoma, my Dad will shoot a doe or two during whichever season he chooses, my son and I hunt muzzleloader season with a friend of mine, and my brother hunts rifle season with a friend of his.

I am not really understanding anyone's objection to those of us who hunt private NO FENCES land. Like I said, I hunt 700 acres in Texas and 1200 acres in Oklahoma, and if anyone here is ignorant enough to believe that deer don't travel beyond 700 or 1200 acres, doesn't know the first thing about whitetail deer. My brother and I use game cameras and compare notes with our neighbors as to how many of the same deer that we see. I got news for you; the deer on our places are travelers. Can the guys hunting in fences say the same about their deer? NO!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: retrieverman
Like I said, I hunt 700 acres in Texas and 1200 acres in Oklahoma, and if anyone here is ignorant enough to believe that deer don't travel beyond 700 or 1200 acres, doesn't know the first thing about whitetail deer. My brother and I use game cameras and compare notes with our neighbors as to how many of the same deer that we see. I got news for you; the deer on our places are travelers. Can the guys hunting in fences say the same about their deer? NO!!!

If deer are traveling off your property(outside of the rut) then the property does not have all they need(food, cover, etc.). Simple as that. The exception being those deer whose bedding area and home range straddle property lines. Next time you call someone ignorant for their statement, realize that toes the line on being insulting towards their 20 years of hunting experience.

BTW, to my knowledge the only highfence WMA is in Kerr county, and is one of the hardest to get a permit on. The main reason it is highfence is that TPWD has used the grounds as a management experimentation area, doing research and whatnot on the deer herd.

outdoorslover, It's refreshing to see someone of your age form an informed and differentiated opinion. That doesn't happen often. RESPECT.

For all those who think it's so easy to "corner" a deer on a 2000 acre "tiny pen". I suggest you do it sometime... You'll find unless you have a team standing nearly shoulder to shoulder pushing the critter in one direction(aka a deer-drive), they'll nearly always slip back around towards the direction of the area they are most familiar with. And they wont take miles and miles to make the loop either. But then, I suppose since we use feeders here, the deer are irresistibly drawn back to them and can't stay away.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gosh, a deer that travels more than a few hundred yards is suffering from poor nutrition. Now I've heard it all[]

I guess that also means that most deer, unless they are starving, are also clustered in the dead center of all private property holdings and thus don't have territories that may cross multiple property lines.

Yep, hunting private property is juuuuuuuust like high fence hunting[X(]
Old 03-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Gosh, a deer that travels more than a few hundred yards is suffering from poor nutrition. Now I've heard it all[]
Did I say that???? no

Why else would deer hold up in the 5-10 acre woodlots around here (suburbia) and rarely/never leave them. And yes, people bowhunt those woodlots, and to some success actually. But no high-fences, so it must be hunting, and those must be real hunters. Or does it make them lazy becuase they didnt track and stalk their prey over the course of miles??

Why else would I see the same deer on game cams in one small area of our place, but not on the others? Because they don't have need to. I didn't say anything about being malnourished.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, i guess that suburban Houston deer are just real homebodies.[:-]
Old 03-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Davoh

If deer are traveling off your property(outside of the rut) then the property does not have all they need(food, cover, etc.). Simple as that.
Malnourished, poor nutrition, whatever...

As far as deer in suburban woodlots, where else are they going to be?!?!

I use cameras too, and I can tell you what part of my places certain deer will be found. The difference is my neighbors are seeing them too. How about yours???

I give the high fence community credit. It is making me work harder on my places to produce the same quality deer that they are getting under their more controlled conditions. My hat is off to what they are able to produce.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Retriever,

Actually suburban deer (or even deer well within urban areas) are frequently found in the streets or in peoples yards a long way away from the woodlots. That's why they have to have special hunts for them, because yuppies living a mile from the closest wooded gully get tired of hitting deer with their SUV's.

As for producing high quality animals under very controlled conditions, the proper term for that is farming/ranching.[>:]

Quick Reply: Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.