Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting >

Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

Old 03-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your Thoughts on High Fenced Hunting

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche
As for producing high quality animals under very controlled conditions, the proper term for that is farming/ranching.[>:]
LMAO!!! Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:32 PM

My biggest concern on this topic is the sense of ownership of game animals that it seems is inherent. I can certainly understand the frustration of putting a lot of effort into managing land for deer only to have the deer being shot by the neighbors who may let anyone and everyone shoot anything and everything, but that is just as much their right (as long as it is legal) as it is your right to only shoot mature deer. Putting up a fence just seems to say "these are my deer and you can't have them". I don't believe WILD game can be owned by any individual. If you have enough land that the hunting being done on the land is indeed fair chase, why do you need a fence?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:34 PM

Until I lived in Texas and new folks who own high fence places I thought Heck no. But then you find out that all the folks around you shoot babies, what's game management,and don't hesitate to come into your land and or shoot across your fence.

So. . . . .the high fence is more to keep the dirt bags out and protect your hard work from folks who have no business being in the woods.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Davoh

BTW, to my knowledge the only highfence WMA is in Kerr county, and is one of the hardest to get a permit on. The main reason it is highfence is that TPWD has used the grounds as a management experimentation area, doing research and whatnot on the deer herd.
I have been to the chapparall WMA and it's high fenced as is the James daughtry. I believe all the WMA,s are high fenced, thats how they do their research. Has to be controlled.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Free range fair chase is the only way to go for the real hunter. High fenced hunting is a busines for those that are not willing and or able to put in the effort. Money can buy anything. I could never put a mount up on the wall that came from a pen. There are many hard working guides that work free ranges. Guiding and fencing are two different issues that should not be confused.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Somehow i don't think that the main idea behind a lot of high fence operation is to keep people out, unless wire cutters are banned in some areas