Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Strange reaction

Old 12-08-2002, 08:37 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default Strange reaction

Yesterday at 5:45pm I shot a nice mule deer but he reacted rather strange to the shot and I would like to know if anyone has seen this.
I used a 30-06 and my shot was taken at what I est. to be 250 to 300 yards. I was just a little low but the shot hit the plain that I was aiming for just behind the left shoulder. The deer just stood there for what seemed to be about 5 to 6 min. or more, did not move and then just kind of layed down and that was it.
When I got to him blood was everywhere. It looked like he just stood there and bled out. After field dressing him I looked at the heart and the lower end was mush.
I have never had one do this. He dident jump or even seem to flinch at the shot.
Oh and I did see that he had been visiting one of the feeders becouse he had alot of corn in him. So mule deer do go to feeders or at least the ones here do.
Rick

Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Strange reaction

I have seen them not react when hit by a bow, but never a gun. I double lunged a buck last year with the now and stood around grunting for a minute before he collapsed.

"We do not inherit our wildlife from our fathers, we only borrow it from our children."
Old 12-09-2002, 01:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every once in awhile you will shoot a animal and get strange reactions . I shot one last year that just ran in a circle and cameback to the same place I had shot him.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Who, congrats on the mule deer what part to texas did you shoot him? How big was the rack?

Old 12-09-2002, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Were you in an area that would hear shots often? Only thing I could figure is that he was used to hearing blasts, so didn't freak at the sound, and his system went into shock upon impact?? Otherwise I have no idea?????????

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 12-09-2002, 01:16 PM

If the shot was taken at that distance (250-300 yards) It may be possible that it still had enough velocity to penetrate to a vital organ. But not with enough of a "punch" to alarm the animal. Hence the reason he bled out and layed right down. Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:19 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Texastracker, I live in Lubbock and if you go east towards Dickens there is a little hole in the road called McAdoo. We have a lease just about 5 to 6 mile north of there.
NH the shot had plenty of velosity it went through both sides of this deer.
Rick

Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote.