Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

rubs and scrapes

Old 12-08-2002, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default rubs and scrapes

I am seeing rubs and scrapes the bucks have made back in the early fall. They really tear up an place. Well my question is how do you know were they are going to do their signposting. I am afraid that if I scout to much in the woods during August and September I will scare deer away. I put an stand up pretty early about August. I have heard deer are habitual they will signpost in the same spot every year. I see a problem with that. Something could have happened to that deer over the year. Should I put a stand up in that area that I see all the rubs and scraps next fall?
Old 12-08-2002, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: rubs and scrapes

i doubt you will scare them away for the rest of the season...if me and my dad can take 3 from the same stand in one day how can walking around one day scare them forever?? i highly doubt it will...i small game hunt through mine all through the fall..go there in deer season and htey are still there....id say scout it out throughout the fall but not really close to the season...like 2 weeks before or so stop...

goodluck
Old 12-08-2002, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you have spot loaded with deer sign, remember they are their for a reason, be it bedding, funnel, food, etc. Unless a loss of habitat or something those areas usually hold deer year after year, but scouting is a must. I have already started scouting for next year. I will scout throughout the winter and shed hunt. In the spring I will watch food sources and walk my areas. I make maps, GPS mark, etc of new territory. Summer I spend more time walking the woods and checking old spots. Then as fall approachs I tend to stay back, watch entrance routes, food sources, etc. Fall and hunting is the best scouting. I tend to sit on food sources in the evening and as it turns cooler move back to transition areas...always scouting and planning. Really I never stop scouting until I find those spots that are the ones. Sure you'll bump deer but as long as you, don't overdue the presence..like every day then you should be good to go. I have spots that produce year after year, yet others that are one time or year places...it is really hard to tell for sure. In most cases the area still holds animals they may have switched up their routine for food, water, pressure, loos of habitat, etc.

Them hot spots from this year are always a good spot to start with and ear mark for scouting.

Old 12-09-2002, 12:14 AM

i agree w/mauser and skeeter.....however from what i see from your post you want to know how to set up during the rut. the sign you're talking about seeing is taking place during the pre-rut. it isn't very productive to hunt pre-rut sign during the rut...once the rut is in full swing pretty much anything can happen at anywhere and any time. bucks abandon scrapes and concentrate on running hot does. so my advice is to also abandon the scrapes and set up on a concentration of does and you should improve your odds. find a good funnel or transition between a food source and bedding area.

pre-rut = hunt the buck sign
rut = hunt the does

Edited by - nodose on 12/09/2002 01:21:36