Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rubs and Scrapes

Old 10-01-2002, 02:25 PM

Default Rubs and Scrapes

Hey everyone. Last weekend I put out a bunch of mock scrapes. While I was doing those, I decided to just try some mock rubs. I just took a clean knife and scraped it down the tree until i was pretty deep into the tree. It looked pretty real. I put it right next to a real rub that was made last year and compared mine with it. It looked real! Anyway, then i took some of that forehead gland scent and put some of it on the rub. I hope it will work. Overall, I think I have put out about 10 scrapes and 15 rubs or so on our property. Do ya'll think they will work?
-Jack
Old 10-02-2002, 02:21 PM

Default RE: Rubs and Scrapes

Bucks generally do not return to old rubs. Mainstream opinion is that rubs are made for three reasons..
1. To shed velvet.
2. To release aggression.
3. Signposts for other deer.
I personally dismiss #1. A buck's velvet will come off even he he never rubs it. I thinks rubs are made because of a combination of #2 and #3.
Will a rub work in attracting other deer? I don't believe so. Rubs are generally found along trails and are just something the buck does as he travels from one area to another. Other bucks MAY stop and put a nose to an existing rub but it will not bring them in.
I would concentrate around your scrapes. One thing to remember though...don't set your stand up directly overlooking a scrape. A wary buck will get 30-50 yards downwind of the scrape in heavy cover and scent check it from there. Only if the scent is favorable, will he come in. If you are set up directly over the scrape, you might get scented and the buck will never come in. Find the spot where the bucks scent check the scrape and you could have good shooting.
They'll be concentrating on setting up to scent the scrape and will be less wary of their immediate surroundings.

ALWAYS CALL YOUR SHOT.