Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Where are the bucks ?????????? >

Where are the bucks ??????????

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where are the bucks ??????????

Old 12-08-2002, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Where are the bucks ??????????

i hunt on a hiline out of a box stand i see a couple of does mostly every day i got 2 scrapes on the hiline about a 100 yards from my stand theres 2 or 3 rubs in the woods beind me but i have yet to see a buck out of this stand ive tried huntin all day but no luck so any ideas on how to get them to my stand oh and by the way i got hard woods in front and back of me didnt have time to plant a food plot this year but i put out bags of corn

100%REDNECK
Old 12-08-2002, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Where are the bucks ??????????

/come on yall please help me

100%REDNECK
Old 12-08-2002, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

if you are seeing deer patience is all that can help now if your spot if good enough and the buck that left the sign is alive...all yo ucan do is sit there every minute you can..or find a new spot...
Old 12-08-2002, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

If the bucks have been disturbed they may have gone nocturnal. Try hunting during the dark of the moon as much as you can. If you have access to a trail camera with a timer on the photo you shuld be able to pinpoint the time of day the deer are feeding in the area.

Old 12-08-2002, 10:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

What stage of rut are the deer in currently. If pre or rut try rattling or laying down some scent. This year I tried some scents for the first time with rattling and our party connected on 3 bucks using this technique(prerut and early stage full rut). I placed 3 tampons(as wick) in a half moon around our set up(used Still Steamin Doe in Estrus by Scent Sheilds. Placed the scents about 150 Yards up wind and crosswind in both directions. Then rattled and grunted. I would throw in tending grunts or soft toned grunts at 15 min intervals and after i finished rattling i would either put a aggressive drawn out grunt or the same as above...just kept switching it up. First time it took 1 1/2 hours to get the one we wanted to come in, second was about 2 hours and mine was 45 minutes. (if you got does and some buck sign and the rut is approaching he'll be around...he just may need a little string to get him out when your in the stand)

If your hunting post rut, then you may need to adjust to the hardwoods and try laying down some of the corn or other feed. Bucks need rest after rut and will like to feed in secure, easy locations. If you can find a meadow or draw that would be close to bed but far enough not to spook, this would be my choice.