Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hey everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-07-2002, 05:36 PM

Default Hey everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't been around b/c been too busy hunting. I just want to know a couple of things. 1. Tinks 69 doe in rut- is this the best scent, better than code blue? 2. I use a Weatherby 7mm, is this a good gun for long range shots? Oh yeah and I am hunting where I see doe EVERYTIME I go. Should I keep going I never see any bucks, I seen a spike. But the saying I have heard is "just because you don't see it doesn't mean its not there" does this apply to Bucks in the area I hunt? I think there is a good sized 6pt but I don't know how to bring him out. I have a rattle bag, doe estrus bleat can, grunt and tinks 69 doe in rut. I set until 8 or 9 AM. Am I leaving too early?
Old 12-07-2002, 06:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-14-2002, 08:53 AM

Default RE: Hey everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey bo d thanks for the advice. The reason I leave the stand so soon is b/c I get bored really easy. I enjoy watching the trees and grass and all the wildlife but after an hour or two that gets old. I have a climbing stand I have only used once this year b/c it takes too long to put on the tree and then climb up it. Not to mention all the noise you are making. Well I will try some type of lure that you were talking about. The reason I use tinks is b/c "everyone" talks so highly about it and there is some land that I hunt and there are some guys from out of town that have hunted it for around 10 years and every year they kill at least 3 bucks and they use tinks. Well thanks.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:54 AM

How does the rattling go. Grunt a couple of times and then rattle? But for how long? When should I do it before daylight or it doesn't matter? Thanks
Old 12-14-2002, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ceaser8, i grunt before/after I rattle (I also may grunt at the med. point between sessions-15mins) My grunts vary, some times soft contact style grunts or tending grunts or maybe aggressive grunts..it depends on the stage and what's working. I am never afraid to change the sounds of my grunts up. As far as rattling goes, I prefer to rattle from the ground. Reasons: easy to move, rack ground, trees and thunmp on the ground. I start off slow, soft and for about 30secs, I grind and tickle the antlers to simulate a struggle. I then wait 30 minutes and then bring up the tone and duration to 45-60 seconds. Repeat every 30 minutes and generally rattle a spot for about 3 hours max then move. I start out all rattling sequences the same, grunt, rake trees, rake ground and then rattle. I finish the sequence with thumping on the ground to simulate a fleeing deer, then grunt and rake the trees and ground. I prefer rattling midday during the rut 10-3. Never rattle until you can shoot and see well. A deer might come instantly, while others may take several tries.

I set up in timber ridges, bush meadows, funnels, rublines...travel routes. Personally never had much success on fields or open food sources with the horns.

Some things to remember, range all your lanes prior to rattling(shooting lanes), always have a backdoor option for shooting(mature bucks will often circle you and try and come in downwind..so be ready & aware for that), know the wind and use it, don't over due it(in tone, duration or sessions wait approx.30mins), be very attentive, minimize your movements.....finally practice and patience.

You can use the rattling tech with tarsal/musk or doe in estrus scents as well.

Old 12-14-2002, 11:01 AM

WHy rack the ground? Can a deer actually hear that? I just rattle but nothing happens. Maybe one day I will get it lol. My grunt is a Knigh and Hail Peice of &%^&%*&$, I keeps (^*^% up I have to take it apart and then it is too high then to low.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

If you have only seen a spike, how do you know that there is a 6 pt around??

Old 12-14-2002, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why rake the trees...realism! Do I think they can hear it, well they sure bolt when you step on twig. Yes, I think if they are in ear shot they can here it. You never know how close they are, what may spark the attention, etc. the more you can do to intice the better in my opinion. I don't go crazy with the raking, just up and down and grunt. Is it required maybe not, but I will tell you I have rattled a load of deer with this tech. This year over 20 different bucks, 4 we shot! Last fall I rattled in 3 different spots all day long and brought out 11 different bucks and some cameback twice. I am not BSing you, but I also put a lot in the spot and location as well. Rattling doesn't work all the time, everytime but at times it can be down right gold. It takes patience, persistance and practice. You can't just sit down smash the horns together, grunt and go a F*%# IT!

I use the knight in hale Ez Grunter Plus, no problems with freezing or adjustable reeds/bands(mine is non adjustable.) I live in Sask/Canada and hunt in temp. usually well below freezing. If your having troubles with it, try keeping in your jacket with some body warmth. I just put mine in my side cargo pocket. I hate stuff hanging from my neck when i am sitting!!!

Old 12-14-2002, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

ceaser8, listen to skeeter. He's right on the money. Pawing at the ground and what not is what seperates you from someone in their treestand using a rattle bag. Bucks don't take long to catch on.

MassBowhunter
"Climb Higher, Look Lower, Fall Asleep Less"
Old 12-14-2002, 02:39 PM

Oh yes I will listen, I am still green as ever. I want to learn all that I can from you all. Should I continue to use the bag or use the antlers? I will try the antlers on the ground. THis buck is old I THINK. He has been around for about 4 years I remember seeing his big foot print close to 4 years ago. He is smart, I have never seen him. My wife has at night driving down the road. I am afraid that the only way to kill him is to use nighvision. Not really I am sure some of you could come down here and leave the same day with him. I will rattle some and I have the estras bleat can. I won't put out the tinks this time. IS ALL OF THIS RIGHT? tell me is I am going wrong about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.