Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Global Warming

Old 02-09-2007, 06:54 AM

Default RE: Global Warming

It was not suppose to be a political thread when started, but it turned into one, of sorts. I started the thread with the interest of finding out what others thought the impact of global warming has been or could be on whitetail in their areas, but it turned into a rather interesting discussion of a different sort.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:09 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

Since this is a highly politcized issue I can see how this thread has turned political. I will say that I am more aware of the global warming issue. Thanks.

If you really want to have fun, start a thread titled, Abortion: How is it affecting the next generation of hunters, and Watch out![8D]

Old 02-09-2007, 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: BDC

Since this is a highly politcized issue I can see how this thread has turned political. I will say that I am more aware of the global warming issue. Thanks.

If you really want to have fun, start a thread titled, Abortion: How is it affecting the next generation of hunters, and Watch out![8D]
I bet the topic would spark a tiny little bit of debate.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:29 PM

I thought that some may be interested in the ESPN story below as it pertains directly to warmer winters and deerhunting in MN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/story?id=2721566
Old 02-09-2007, 12:30 PM

Didn't work, but you could go to ESPN.com and read it for yourself if interested. The short of it is that they mention El Nino.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:37 PM

From what I understand, warmer winters will only help deer populations. Less stress due to less snow fall, etc.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Red Lion-

The milder winters of the past few years have had an impact on our (NE Indiana) deer populations. We have had record populations and harvest numbers since about 1994. BTW- 1995 and 1996 seasons were bitterly cold. 2004, 2005 and 2006 have been relatively mild. This past season was abnormaly warm. This is our weather pattern in my area. Nothing more, nothing less.

On the political take-

I can not believe that I did not see this thread earlier. I would have been on this like a chicken on a Junebug!

As for global whatever, there is not enough evidence or recorded facts to support this as anything other than a theory. To mark a trend in this theory to elevate it to fact requires a longer time period of collected data than just some 20 or so years of documentation. The United States has been declared a free nation for >ten times longer than this data. Human life, longer...

On a sidebar: The ozone depletion theory was onceheralded as the root cause of global destruction. The onlydata concerning thehole in the ozone layer has shown that since man was actually able to see and record its size, is that it opens and closes all the time. Theozone layer has not yetbeen proven to have "thinned" as the sectional density has remained relatively stablethrough the latest period of monitoring. (Again, not for an extended period)

The Clean Air Act decidedly blamed the release of CFC based refrigerants as the primary cause of the hole in the ozone layer. Montreal Protocol dictated the phase-out of chlorine use in refrigerants because in a laboratory controlled experiment, a cholrine molecule was observed to consume a ozone molecule. Ohhh... bad refrigerant. R22 has been given a moratorium death date for that very reason. How many households in the world still have this compound in the HVAC units? Have not seen too many"hybrids" in that arena.

I have heard a quote from a PHD that isone of therespected foundersin the refrigeration manufacturers community concerning this issue. Not verbatim, but goes something like this;20,000 HVAC technicians working with refrigerants over the last 30 yearshave done no more harm to theozone layer than 1 hog farm with 1,000 pigs. (Methane gas >2000 times more detrimental to ozone than R22)

Nothing wrong with hog farms, I enjoy all edible parts, from the rooter to the tooter!

Could not resist stirring this pot.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:35 AM

According toa show I watched on theHistory Channel last night,the arctic ice pack loses54 cubic miles of ice, per year due to global warming. They also stated that CO2 levels in air bubbles trapped in ice in the arctic and antarctic put Co2 levels of the past to be 280. Reportedly, the CO2 level of 280 has historically been the standard/stable level. Our current level is 360. Just thought you should know what the History Channel has to report.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Antartica ice caps are GROWING not shrinking.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

A slight tempurature change is not a major affect for hunting the ruts. It is mostly based on the amount of daylight.

Quick Reply: Global Warming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.