Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what a hunt

Old 12-03-2002, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default what a hunt

ok for those of you that dont want to read a hunting story i will tell you the end result no..i ended up with my first buck...a nice little 6pt and a big fat doe that was so old she only had the front teeth in the bottom of her mouth and my dad got a button buck..

for those who like stories like i do(maybe long but action packed if you lived it lol):
yeserday(monday morning the first day of PA buck and doe season) theres about 3 inches or so of snow on the ground...we drive to a state gamelands and hike our 1.5-2 miles in to our spot...very little people there yet and only a few visable on the trails...we get to our spot and get set and i lay back waiting for light..a guy comes in on our trail and my dad made me turn my position because he thought he sat down and would spook/shot or whatever the deer in my field of view...i was watching right i was watching left..we hear a stick snap beside him..looks and its a deer 20 yards away..raises his gun and it stopd behind a tree and walks staight with it and we never seen it after that..about 20 mins later a stick breaks behind dad...a deer again...raises his gun makes sure its a legal doe or buck(ARs say 3 or more to a side so he had to check to see) and it was rackless and looked like a nice doe..takes the shot and drops it perfect..turns out to be a button with barely any buttons but a decint boty for being so young compared to the one i got 2 yrs back...while hes cleaning it i see a deer bolt across a trail about 70 yards away(big trail cut by the game commission) i unsling my rifle and got ready incase it made it my way...i see atleast 4 deer running my way and the ARs dont apply to me because im a junior and picked a lane and when the lead doe stepped into the lane i touched off and she fell hard..my dad is always saying some funny things and he looks at me as i reload(i put one round in the gun at a time to learn to make it count) and hes like why you breathing hard!? i just laughed and went and took care of my deer...a big fat doe that was so old the only teeth in her mouth were in the front on the bottom and thats it!...she was about 50 yds or so and i did it standing free handed too i thought that was a good shot...we go and lay the deer in some logs so nobody shoots them and continue hunting..i can only take a buck now and my dad can still take a buck or a doe because he got 2 doe tags for that county..im sitting there day dreaming and happy as can be i got my 3rd deer not expecting to shot anymore because ive never seen a buck in the 3 other years i hunted sp why would i now i figured...i look beside/behind my(in front of dad!) and see a deer..im like dad! and nodding backwards and hes like what? im like DEER! hes like ohh..a nice buck! im like a buck!?!? and turn to get a good look..one was in front and i seen the buck! i made sure it had antlers and put the crosshairs on him and touched off....perfect shot busted a shoulder and tore up the lungs..he ran like 30 yds and piled up! i was fast walking after him and felt like a little kid on christmas i was like I GOT A BUCK I GOT A BUCK!!!! i couldnt been happier if it was a monster buck...hes a nice little 6pt and has a beautiful rack pretty symetrical and most of the ends of the tines are worn and white and it looks really neat...i tagged and cleaned him and started the work...that 1.5-2 mile hike in is a killer drag out...took us 2 hours..my dad took his deer and my doe and i took my buck...what a drag that was...the snow made it easier but still a lonnnnnng drag..im still in shock about my first buck ive waited forever for him!! i cant wait to get the rack on the wall so i can look at them all day! sorry i cant get any pics on here...hope you liked the story..it was really and exciting day and a half! both my deer were taken with a mauser 98k in 3006 using s165gr sierra game king bthps i reloaded with a friend and my dad was using a runger no 1 in 3006 using 165 nosler balistic tips if you were wondering...that was my day and a great hunt to say the least....

Old 12-03-2002, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what a hunt

Mauser, no deer has top front teeth. Doesn't matter the age they are born like that. Congrats on the deer.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go Mauser...and you thought dad was bringing your buck chases down!!!!!

Congrats to you both...hey now you have to wait only a year to do it again..LOL.

Old 12-03-2002, 03:34 PM

congrats to both of ya
Old 12-03-2002, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys..i still feel like a kid on christmas! lol...wimp even if they dont ahve teeth on the front top it had none other then the front bottom...no molars at all just the few tiny teeth in the front bottom...skeeter..i have alot to learn in that year...im going to try to find my own spot in the area so me and dad can go togheter and meet up later so im not beside him..i mean i love being with my dad but i gota learn sooner or later and i know he will take deer instead of letting me for now on...the way that buck was i had to move on it to shot it and its head was behing a tree all i seen was a half of the rack and touched off..he said the deer needed another step ad it was his all he seen was a head..now i definently know i get no more breaks...i plan to start bow hunting this coming fall too..so i got alot to learn in a year! thanx guys...you all got me to stick with it on the buck hunting and gave me some good tips and when things were looking down i just thought about some posts about how when that happens something bigs abotu to happen...a few times i thought the day was ruined...but it definently wasnt...best day in my life!

Old 12-03-2002, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats. I think that deer only have teeth on the front bottom, but i could be wrong?

Old 12-03-2002, 11:11 PM

Congrats on the exciting hunt!
Old 12-04-2002, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to you and your dad.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to both of you. I still remember my first buck like it was yesterday.

Old 12-04-2002, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats to you and your dad, well written story and a day you will never forget, actually you are like me, there are either two deer you will never forget or three, you and I have three, our first deer, a doe, our first buck, and our biggest buck. I know you will one day get a bigger one than that six point, don't get me wrong that is a fine buck for the first. In a weird way I am glad my first deer was a doe, that way just like you I was pumped the next year when I got my 4 point, my first buck, then there was my monster 8 point in 74!

Mauser congrats again and I am sure there will many more deer for you in the future.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club

Quick Reply: what a hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.