Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Long range hunting! *VIDEO*

Old 01-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Long range hunting! *VIDEO*

ORIGINAL: Todd1700

My reference to silhouette shooting is just to point out that I know rifles and what little things like a 10 mph cross wind somewhere between the shooter and the target can mean a complete miss.
Exactly, and it is that fact that obviously the defenders of these guys are blissfully ignorant of. It's not a matter of James B or myself not being as good a shot as these guys and therefore thinking them unethical. There is no such thing as being so good that you can make a sure first shot to a deers vitals at distances of that length. Those who believe otherwise need to cut back on the Rambo movies for a while until the fantasy fog of long range shooting myths starts to clear from their minds.

Yes deer are shot at and lost at much shorter distances. You bet. The difference is that it's very possible to consistently score good first shot hits at the shorter distances if you practice a bit. The fact that some people screw up at shorter distances is a reflection on them not the task at hand.

And no one addressed what I said earlier that proves to me that what these guys are doing isn't hunting, it's target shooting. A hunter wants to get as close as possible to his prey. I'd love to kill every buck I take at 50 yards if it were possible. No hunter wants to have tomake a long shot. Backing out to 800, 900 or a 1000 yards on purpose just to see if you can still make the shot is not hunting. It's target shooting.
I am not "blissfully ignorant" to the fact that accurate shooting involves countless variables and being aware of them all and how they will influence any given shot. I am no expert but I am more than proficient at killing deer with every weapon I choose to hunt with. I know my weapons and my maximum ranges, you don't know that information just like you don't know any info on the guys in the clips. As far as addressing what you said earlier, theydidn't appear to be breaking any laws and as long as they arehunting legal game with a legal weaponthat is their right.They took successful shots in both clips, some looked like they could have probably got closer and some looked like they took long shots because of terrain issues. Their shot, their choice.

Do an experiment on this site. Start a thread that says: What is the farthest shot you will take with you rifle, bow, muzzleloader, any weapon for that matter under ideal conditions? How many different distances and responses are you going to get? Where do you draw the line?(rifle)300yds, 400 yds, 500 yds.(bow) 20 yds, 30yds, 50yds
Where is the line and who draws it?
A hunter wants to get as close as possible. Who says you have to? When I rifle hunt, while I don't set up 800 yds away, I don't mind setting up 100-200 yds off of where I am hunting. I call it low impact. I don't get right up in there all the time. And you can ask any deer in my freezer how it turned out for them. I would love 100 yd shot or a 10 yd shot for that matter but that doesn't mean I won't knock a deers' d*ck in the dirt at 350yds if the events of the hunt unfold that way. I understand what some ofyou guysare saying and respect you guys and your input but Idon't believe in telling another man how to run his showecspecially if he is within the law and his rights.But that is just my opinion and it is subject to change and opento comment.

P.S. I don't know how politics and PETA got involved in this thread but it
definitely wasn't me as I am not too fond of either.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:03 PM

wow... this is a long post.....[&:]
Old 01-31-2007, 07:39 PM

Didn't expect the thread to become so seriously debated, it was original meant for entertainment when I originally posted it.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Why can't people say, wow thats cool..thanks for sharing and be done with it?

Lots of haters out there.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SaskatchewanOutdoors

Why can't people say, wow thats cool..thanks for sharing and be done with it?

Lots of haters out there.
agreed...people just want to think they are ALWAYS right....which no1 is but they cant get that concept...
Old 01-31-2007, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I thought it was cool, I would say so. Of course I would be a lieing BOS if I said that. Don't look at me as a hater. I love our sport and I care deeply for the wildlife that we hunt. I often wish catch and release worked for hunting. I am certainly not always right but I agree, some here think that they are. I hate to see anything cast a poor light on hunting which I love. talking unnecessary chances and iffy shots does just that. Hunters and non hunters alike know that real long range shooting at animal will have its miscues and an animal will suffer to fulfill some a$$ es Rambo syndrome. Sorry but thats not a hunter your seeing, just a killer.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

The way I see it,these guys are more ethical than the majority of hunters out there.

They KNOW there equipment,range,ability and are not afraid to utilize all of it.Yes,there are risk,but there are ALWAYS risk.

Why should they be considered less of a hunter than the person thatpicks his rifle up once a year and goes out andTRIES to hit a deer at 100-150 yards? The latter of the two has way more opsticles to overcome and imo,they are in the majority and not the minority,as sad as that is to say.I would be willing to bet that the wound rate is much higher in this group of people than with the guys in the video.

I think the people on here forget these type hunters because they are in the minority on sights like this because we care about what we do and take it serious but most hunters in the real world just want to go kill something.[:'(]

So to me,it seems silly to start flaming very accomplished marksmen for taking a hard shot when they are more capableat those shots than MOST hunters are at 150- 200yards.But very few say 150 yards is too far.

Where's that energizer bunny? STILL GOING.[8D]
Old 02-01-2007, 02:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Old 02-01-2007, 04:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing new about long range shooting. The buffalo hunters did it with open sights and Black Powder loads @ 1200 fps. Yep the wounded a lot of buffalo as well. They didn't care though there was no shortage of buffalo. Heck just pop a different one.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:11 AM

I can see both sides to this arguement. It WOULD be a shame for an in-experienced person to see that and automatically think they can do it.

We shoot hogs weekly here at 500-700 yards. However, we are not using an "off the shelf" rifle either. We use a rifle custom built by the gentleman in my sig line. It takes an accomplished shooter and the equipment too.

We spend a couple ofdays on our rifle range with hunters (if they wish) practicing. When/if they can ding a4 inch by8 inch steel target at 700 yards repeatedly after practice....we set them up on a power line that we bait daily for hogs.

Some folks enjoy "long range hunting/shooting"....whatever you want to call it. Try this link to a friend of ours for more info.

http://precisionlongrangehunter.com/

400+ yards shots are not uncommon here. And they are very COMMON in Montana/Wyoming.

Animals are going to be wounded sooner or later regardless of how/what you do.

To you die-hard bow hunters out there?? There is a beautiful axis buck running around a few miles from us with an arrow sticking out of his neck. I don't hunt with a bow, but I understand that the maximum ethical shot is around 50 yards give or take?? Wonder what happened there?

Things happen in all areas of this sport.

As Rebel Hog has said in many posts....."if it works for you, do it."

Shoot us an email if you want to borrow our "spotter". He is the best I have ever seen !!

best of luck

Quick Reply: Long range hunting! *VIDEO*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.