Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cold Fingers

Old 12-02-2002, 07:39 AM

Default Cold Fingers

This morning was the first day of Mass shotgun season and I am a all season hunter, This morning it wasnt very cold around 18-25 degres.
I had a pair on military green wool gloves, then I put those half mittens with fingers on and man, my fingers froze. I am using a pump so the left hand I guess I could use a mitten, but I like to feel the gun, the problem is most really heavy gloves are hard to fit in the trigger guard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:55 PM

Default RE: Cold Fingers

Huntthomas;We don't have much luck with insulated gloves.Prefer to wear either insulated mittens or light cotton/poly blend gloves and put your hands in one of those hand muffs that tie around your waist.If it is really cold you can put hand warmers in the muff, this will keep your fingers warm and you will still be able to work the pump on your shotgun.Good luck.Bill
Old 12-03-2002, 12:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cold Fingers

I've always felt the same way as far as being able to feel the gun so I've never worn gloves either. The best thing I have found is the Muff's they have out. You can usually pick one up for $10 or so at Walmart.

If you do choose to go with something make sure it's mittens and not gloves. Mittens will keep your hands warmer. Also, next year when you practice and or sight in your gun wear the mittens so you're used to the feel. I think you'll find (as will I) that having to feel the gun is more in your head then anything.

MassBowhunter
"Climb Higher, Look Lower, Fall Asleep Less"