Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Makes my stomach turn!!!

Old 01-20-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Makes my stomach turn!!!

I was out hunting small game the other day and what oh what did I stumble across.....A dead buck(7 pt). Was not a really nice rack but it was a unique deer. It was half white...piebald is what it's called I beleive. I will try to post pics of it. It must have been shot by a muzzleloader or poached.[:'(]

I can't post pics can someone give me their email and do it for me?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Makes my stomach turn!!!

welcome bowshark, i find dead deer just about every year, while it is sad, it is all about the balance of nature, what really gets (upsets)me is to see a huge buck hit by a vehichle, but it happens and we must go on. and hope that there offspring are close bye

i'll post a pic

e-mail [email protected]
Old 01-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

yeah that sucks, hopefully it wasnt poached
Old 01-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

bowshark- Yea, it is sad to find a deer left for waste or poached. Send me a Personal Message via your Inboxand I willshare some of the most revolting sights that I have had the displeasure to experience during my hunting career.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:49 PM

When I was 10 and just learning how to hunt, I was walking in my dad's woods (about 8 acres with farm land all around and a major highway on the back end) when I came across a partially decayed dead deer. He was an 8pt with an arrow still sticking through his ribcage. The smell made my stomach turn but not as much as seeing that big beautiful buck wasted when my dad had taken the only deer he saw all season, a button buck.

My dad came out with me to see it after he got done with work and he guesstimated it has been dead for a week or so, and bow season had ended a week earlier.
He was pretty sure it was my neighbor's arrow and took it to him to see if it was.
When my dad told him where he found it, he shrugged and said "Well, ya can't find 'em all."
We went back and walked it off, the deer was 200 yards from where his stand and you could see the stand from where the deer was. My dad made me swear then and there that when I was old enough to hunt on my own that I would never waste a deer by not tracking it.

In 20+ years of hunting, my dad has only lost 1 deer. It took 9 hours of looking in daylight, 4 more by flashlight and 7 more hours the next day with our dog before he finally gave up with tears in his eyes. I know a lot of not losing a deer is luck, but there is a significant amount that depends on desire to find the deer and the amount of effort you're willing to put into finding it. I've been fortunate in that my 3 deer have ran a combined total of about 200 yards before dropping, I just hope that when the time comes, as I'm sure it will sooner or later, that I have the same discipline as my dad to find my deer or at least not give up on it without a monumental effort!
Old 01-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've come across lot's of dead deer, but never assumed that it was the fault of someone hunting with a muzzleloader. Am I missing something here?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:26 PM

I know what you mean. I found a nice 8pt. last year. Would of been pretty proud to put on my table, but found it dead instead. I guess that's part of life though!
Old 01-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I've come across lot's of dead deer, but never assumed that it was the fault of someone hunting with a muzzleloader. Am I missing something here?

Here in PA, muzzleloader season just ended. Late archery season runs along with the late muzzleloader but the muzzleloader is a lot more popular here.

If the deer was just discovered and not that old, he was probably right to assume it was poached or shot by a muzzleloader.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Pretty hard to tell exactly what happened without further investigation. Sorry to hear nevertheless.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Couple years ago we had a bad winter, tons of snow and layers of ice in between.That spring I found around 30 dead deer while looking for sheds, and what was really odd was 3/4 of them were bucks that had shed thier antlers and they were for the most partlying in fencelines where the snow was the deepest.Almost looked like the coyotes were chasing them into these fencelines on purpose where they would get bogged down in the snow and not be able to get away.Lost a lotta pheasants and turkeys that year as well.Nature can be a harsh place

Quick Reply: Makes my stomach turn!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.