Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I thought he made it through?? >

I thought he made it through??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I thought he made it through??

Old 01-16-2007, 08:42 PM

Default RE: I thought he made it through??

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

our laws reguarding shining are, you can look at game with a light, one that is carried by hand, you can't have firearms or any implement capable of taking game.
you cannot use a light attached to a vehicle. The law says that looking at game in the headlights is not unlawful but you cannot have a firearm in the vehicle.
If your shining around here after the velvet comes off, expect to be checked, you get caught you loose your hunting priveledges for 2 years, your gun and vehicle are impounded, and it is determined by the court if you get it back.
RR
Does anyone really think that will deter someone who already breaks the law and is poaching?

Reminds me of a guy on the news in Des moines a few months back who was arrested for his 9th DUI and 6th in 2 years. He hasn't had a license since 2003 I think and has managed to rack up 7 DUI's in the meantime. He told the cops when he was arrested, "Once I get back out, I'm gonna drink and drive again."

Not saying I'm opposed to lazy bastard poachers losing their licenses, but if they're already scum enough to poach, what are the odds that not having a license will prevent them from poaching in the future? Especially if they process their own meat and never have to prove they have a tag anyway?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:20 PM

Sorry about the poachers, that really stinks. Did you contact anybody about it? Let them know what you saw, maybe they can look out for them.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:09 PM

i would be opening a big can of woop a$$
Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

Gforce, I use spotlighting to scout my urban zone. When the deer come out this one area of the woods and head north, the next moring they come back in a finger located on the north. Worked everytime this year at my URban spot.

I'm from Fort Wayne also

Thats a nice buck blondie, but what was the exact score, not knocking you or anything, but it looks a little thin on mass and tine length to make the mid 160's, but its a real nice deer. Too bad about the other deer. There are a lot of dorks around here that spotlight and poach deer. several years ago in another county there were two guys that spotlighted a deer eating out of a bird feeder, dropped it with a rifle, it died in the older peoples driveway, they drove in and took a chainsaw and cut the head off. They got caught, the buck scored in the 170's, just a shame that a buck like that had to be taken in such a cowardly manner.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:39 PM

yeh out in the country on the bridges people will kill bucks cut off there antlers and then dump the body off the bridge..wut a waste..
i think there should be FINES FINES FINES
Old 01-18-2007, 03:22 AM
Fork Horn

That buck had a 19 3/8 inside spread. Its G2's were 8 4/8, and g3's were 11 3/8, He had 5 3/8bases, and kept over 4 6/8 all the way out. He had 26 inch beams. I'll look for the score sheet, and put it on here. The buck we got was onlt 3 1/2 and scored that much. I would have loved to see him next year. I can't believe you thought that deer looked like it had thin antlers, and short tines. When a buck is 5 inches from boone and crockett, its gotta have a good bit of everything. lol

Old 01-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhunterjohn

Gforce, I use spotlighting to scout my urban zone. When the deer come out this one area of the woods and head north, the next moring they come back in a finger located on the north. Worked everytime this year at my URban spot.

I'm from Fort Wayne also

Thats a nice buck blondie, but what was the exact score, not knocking you or anything, but it looks a little thin on mass and tine length to make the mid 160's, but its a real nice deer. Too bad about the other deer. There are a lot of dorks around here that spotlight and poach deer. several years ago in another county there were two guys that spotlighted a deer eating out of a bird feeder, dropped it with a rifle, it died in the older peoples driveway, they drove in and took a chainsaw and cut the head off. They got caught, the buck scored in the 170's, just a shame that a buck like that had to be taken in such a cowardly manner.
blondiez24 - Too bad you had the other deer poached. The one you posted is a nice buck.

bowhunterjohn - Glad to hear of your success in your urban zone set-ups. I recently lost a prime urban zone spot due to some low-life that came in and stole mine and the property owners stands.Trespassing is illegal almost everywhere, but a thief doesn't mind. The law isn't what they care about, your property is what they want.

Legal use of aspotlight is an effective scouting method IMHO. Some will not agree;to those that do not, I will not change their positions anymore than they will deter mine.

I don't know if you heard about a duo of spotlighting poachers that were caught in Steuben county a few years back. Two guyswere living in Michiganat the time and were shooting deer in the county'srural areas and takingthem home. One of the idiots even entered at least one buck in Michigans' big buck program (don't remember the programs name).

They were targeting an area that I have glassed in the evening and you can see 100-200 deer in a two or three square mile area coming out into the fields just after sunset. This area is widely known and gets a lot of vehicle traffic of people just wanting to see deer. Many are nothunters.

You don't even need to use a spotlight, and some of the bucks are just huge. It's not unusual to see a dozen bucks that are in the 140-170 range, a couple here and there at 180. Any way, the two got caught because the farm ownerreported the night time gun shots to the DNR. The IDNR set up a sting operation and caught thepoachers as they shot a buck in a field with a centerfire rifle. The Michigan DNR searched their homes and found more deer carcasses.

Shooting deer while spotlighting is illegal in Indiana, but the laws will not stop someone that is determined to poach.Poachers don't care if the laws exsist or not, it is the criminal mindset that they follow.

Poachers are thieves of our wildlife.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Gforce, yes I heard about that, one of the bucks was shot real close to my cousins place. What a bunch of low lifes, I agree, I hate trespasser, thieves and poachers.

I lost my one urban spot the end of season as it got sold off, it was at the end of the runway at the airport. Had a lot of luck there, both deer hunting and coyote trapping. Shot 5 deer in 3 seasons and trapped 13 coyotes, plus a ton of coons. First year there some dirtballs were coon hunting at night. I took my boy and friend after Cub scouts to spotlight, the boys love seeing deer, coon, coyotes, rabbiits ect... These guys were parked with their back gate open, keys in the ignition and two big dead coons. If I was a bad person I could have driven their truck into teh big ditch, but my mom taught me two wrongs don't make a right. I called the sheriff and they said they wouldn't come out at night. What a bunch of crap!!!

What part of Ft. Wayne you from ? Where you pratice your bow shooting at?

Old 01-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

blondie, don't take it as I was trying to knock your deer, its a real nice buck. Evidently the pictures don't do it justice.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I got the same response when trying to contact the local sheriff's on a poaching report.Call thenearest DNR managed property office and ask for thelocal CO contactnumber.

The number you call will not put you in touch with an actual Conservation Officer, but they will forward your message to the officer on duty. The COWILL respond to your call.

I will send you a Private Message concerning your last two questions. If you are new to the site and Private Messaging: Here is how you do it -

Scroll to the very top of the page you are viewing. Click onInbox ,then Sent , go to the right side of the screen and select the Send Private Messagebox. That is howyou can send a PM.

When you get a PM, you will get notification by e-mail if you haveyour e-mail addresslisted in your profile, otherwise you can just check for new posts by clicking onyour Inbox.

Quick Reply: I thought he made it through??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.