Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

rifled slugs

Old 01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default rifled slugs

How many others use rifled slugs (not sabots) in their fully rifled barrels? I've done this for years with no problems and get just as good results.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:49 PM

Default RE: rifled slugs

I do not presently, but did up until a couple years ago. You can get very good accuracy with them. A buddy of mine is deadly accurate out to 100yards with his 870 express using slugs.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

I have been shooting rifled slugs through a rifled barrel for years . I tried sabots and they grouped about the same so I stuck with the cheap Federal & Winchester foster slugs .........
Old 01-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just moved to Paducah Ky from Alabama ...I am only 15 miles from the Illinois state line and plan on hunting some there next year so I bought an Ithica Deerslayer with a rifled barrel ....I was told to shoot sabots instead of rifled slugs .... not sure at this point what to shoot ...

dd
Old 01-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

I just moved to Paducah Ky from Alabama ...I am only 15 miles from the Illinois state line and plan on hunting some there next year so I bought an Ithica Deerslayer with a rifled barrel ....I was told to shoot sabots instead of rifled slugs .... not sure at this point what to shoot ...

dd

I live in central Illinois but hunt in Pope County just across the river from Paducah, about 40-45 minutes away. There was some changes in the last few years regarding out of state folks. One of our guy's at deer camp had a son who used to come over from Kansas and hunt but the price for permits went up for out of state hunters and I think the availablitiy became limited too, I can't recall. Go to that Gander Mountain off 24 in Paducah where 24 crosses the river and see if they have copies of the Illinois hunting digest. If not you can access it through the DNR web sit at www.dnr.state.il. If you still can find it PM me with your address and I'll be happy to send you a copy. As far as the slugs I use the rifled just because I like them better, I don't get too many oportunities to shoot further than 70-80 yards and I can get them for $2 or so a box compared to whatever the sabots are costing these days.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

dd

I live in central Illinois but hunt in Pope County just across the river from Paducah, about 40-45 minutes away. There was some changes in the last few years regarding out of state folks. One of our guy's at deer camp had a son who used to come over from Kansas and hunt but the price for permits went up for out of state hunters and I think the availablitiy became limited too, I can't recall. Go to that Gander Mountain off 24 in Paducah where 24 crosses the river and see if they have copies of the Illinois hunting digest. If not you can access it through the DNR web sit at www.dnr.state.il. If you still can find it PM me with your address and I'll be happy to send you a copy. As far as the slugs I use the rifled just because I like them better, I don't get too many oportunities to shoot further than 70-80 yards and I can get them for $2 or so a box compared to whatever the sabots are costing these days.
Thanks SJS for the info....almost sounds like you yankee boy's dont want these Kentucky boy's coming across the line to hunt ya'lls deer LOL ..maybe I need to stay on THIS side of the river

dd

Old 01-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks SJS for the info....almost sounds like you yankee boy's dont want these Kentucky boy's coming across the line to hunt ya'lls deer LOL ..maybe I need to stay on THIS side of the river

dd

[/quote]

Does sound that way doesn't. We have a group of guys from around Nashville, TN that is up just before our first deer season the weekend before Thanksgiving to bow hunt. Nice bunch of guys, they usually head for home a few days before ourfirearm season starts.We have more trouble from folks in our own state it seems hunting in the Shawnee. Make sure you let me know if you need a copy of the regulations.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot the Brenneke slugs thru my rifled barrel H&R. Yes there's some leading in the barrel so I clean it real well &real often, but it is to be expected. I may try the new BlackMagic Brenneke slugs to see if they do indeed cut down on the leading some.