Thread: rifled slugs
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 07:49 AM
DoctorDeath
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: rifled slugs

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

I just moved to Paducah Ky from Alabama ...I am only 15 miles from the Illinois state line and plan on hunting some there next year so I bought an Ithica Deerslayer with a rifled barrel ....I was told to shoot sabots instead of rifled slugs .... not sure at this point what to shoot ...

dd

I live in central Illinois but hunt in Pope County just across the river from Paducah, about 40-45 minutes away. There was some changes in the last few years regarding out of state folks. One of our guy's at deer camp had a son who used to come over from Kansas and hunt but the price for permits went up for out of state hunters and I think the availablitiy became limited too, I can't recall. Go to that Gander Mountain off 24 in Paducah where 24 crosses the river and see if they have copies of the Illinois hunting digest. If not you can access it through the DNR web sit at www.dnr.state.il. If you still can find it PM me with your address and I'll be happy to send you a copy. As far as the slugs I use the rifled just because I like them better, I don't get too many oportunities to shoot further than 70-80 yards and I can get them for $2 or so a box compared to whatever the sabots are costing these days.
Thanks SJS for the info....almost sounds like you yankee boy's dont want these Kentucky boy's coming across the line to hunt ya'lls deer LOL ..maybe I need to stay on THIS side of the river

dd