Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Quick ? about IOWA laws...

Old 01-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Quick ? about IOWA laws...

Can you legally use someone elses tag to tag your deer?Say as in a group hunt?Reason being I know 2 guys who tagged deer with tags that belonged to other guys.I was just curious if this is legal.Thanks!!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quick ? about IOWA laws...

Technically, no, but if you are group hunting you can shoot deer for other people, so in saying it that way, you can. Get it? It's pretty dumb, if the other people were not with him at the time, how can anyone prove it after the fact. Alot of people do it, but they just don't get caught. I don't feel it is right that people have their wives, or kids, or whoeverget tags, and use those tags for deer they shoot themselves. that happens too, but just theydon't get caught. It isn't right.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

They were in a group hunt and using their older relatives tags.They were with them.So if they were in a group and there was a valid tag,and the young boy shot a deer and tagged it with his uncles tag would the game warden have a problem with it?Or is it ok so long as the deer is tagged?

Sorry we have nothing like that down here.I'm just curious.Thanks!
Old 01-04-2007, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no idea how it works in Iowa, that being said party hunting is legal in some places. Up here I can fill another hunters tag IF the other hunter was out in the same woods hunting at the time of the kill. If hes nursing a hangover back at camp its illegal, but if hes on a watch hunting when the kill is made its legal.
Buying a tag for a non-hunter and using it is definately illegal.
BHF is right that its hard to prove (a crime) after the fact, but here in a one tag area it sure is nice to be able to continue hunting after tagging out, you just have to convince a friend to go out with you (and possibly forfeit their tag).
Old 01-04-2007, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, Iowa has a party hunting law.It applies only to shotgun seasons one and two.Everyone in a party can continue hunting even after theyre tag is filled.So as long as all members of the party were there, it was shotgun season, and everyone had a valid license the boy could legally shoot a tag and put the uncles tag on it.Hell legally the boy could shoot every deertheyseeas long as they have tags left.Theres more to the law, length of time before the deers tagged, how far away someone in the party can be{I believe something like they have to be able to tag it within 15 minutes with the person who owns the tag being present} but all in all the game warden cant say anything about it during those seasons.