Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When did they become weapons?

Old 12-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default When did they become weapons?

Mabe im all mixed up in the head, but arent weapons for assault and defense.I grew up calling them guns.Later my drill instructor Informed me that there was a differance between a rifle and a gun.Now even BOWS are refered to as weapons on T.V. I dont feel right thinking its a weapon unless im hunting people,or they are hunting me.Does anyone else feel like the term weapon is being misused.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:50 PM

Default RE: When did they become weapons?

I believe firearms are tools, until used as a weapon. ANYTHING can be a weapon.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

These guys are hunting deer (and turkeys) Not bad guys.Yes anything can be a weapon,I understand that part.It just seems wrong when its applied to hunting.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:30 AM

I have no interest in being "Politically Correct"

Atool used to kill something to put food on my table is a weapon and a friend.
A tool used to protect my country, my family, and myself from any and all harm is a weapon and a friend.

A weapon in american english means anything used to injure or kill.
I think the concept of hunting with a non-camera instrument is to KILL.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:01 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: furgitter

Mabe im all mixed up in the head, but arent weapons for assault and defense.I grew up calling them guns.Later my drill instructor Informed me that there was a differance between a rifle and a gun.Now even BOWS are refered to as weapons on T.V. I dont feel right thinking its a weapon unless im hunting people,or they are hunting me.Does anyone else feel like the term weapon is being misused.
THIS IS YOUR WEAPON AND THIS IS YOUR GUN.......THIS IS FOR KILLING AND THIS IS FOR FUN!
Old 12-31-2006, 11:33 AM

it all the media tryin to make us look bad i hate it when people try to tell everyone that we are bad cuz we kill
things.
well some of us are doing it cuz we need the meat and some of us enjoy it and i personaly give some to
my friend who have trouble paying for there own meat and some who like the taste of deer.

but we also are acused ofthinking its cool to watching thing die my uncle and me dont like to watch things die but we like the sport ofhunting we like getting out in the wild and watching wildlife.

but we are not heartless killers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and we dont use our guns as weapons we use them as tools ther are gun safty laws that prove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:@]
Old 12-31-2006, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: furgitter

I always treat a deadly firearm of any sort as a weapon (i.e. BOWS). No, most of us may not be heartless but we ARE killers and accidents happen. I prefer to always refer to my firearm as a weapon first and foremost. Safety first.

If you were in the Marines (Like I was) then you of all people should know this.

Semper Fi
Old 12-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
Old 01-01-2007, 09:32 AM

Webster defines 'weapon' as an instrument used in fighting. If I only ever use my 870 to hunt with it is not a weapon, but as some have already pointed out it is a tool or 'implement.' If I pick up a chair and whack someone over the head with it, it is a weapon.

I despise PC, but I make this point when I teach hunter ed. I believe the word 'weapon' can result in a negative inference, therefore I will not call them weapons. We have enough going against us as it is.

Ohio used to have a 'primitive weapons' season. Now it's 'muzzleloader season,' which I think was a good change.

Semper Fi fellow jarheads.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: beebecl

Webster defines 'weapon' as an instrument used in fighting. If I only ever use my 870 to hunt with it is not a weapon, but as some have already pointed out it is a tool or 'implement.' If I pick up a chair and whack someone over the head with it, it is a weapon.

I despise PC, but I make this point when I teach hunter ed. I believe the word 'weapon' can result in a negative inference, therefore I will not call them weapons. We have enough going against us as it is.

Ohio used to have a 'primitive weapons' season. Now it's 'muzzleloader season,' which I think was a good change.

Semper Fi fellow jarheads.
S/F