Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Is the deer a "Big Game" animal? >

Is the deer a "Big Game" animal?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is the deer a "Big Game" animal?

Old 12-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is the deer a "Big Game" animal?

I see HNI advertise the deer forum as being the place to learn about the "most popular BIG GAME animal in the world", but I haven't seen it catagorized as a big game animal.

What about you guys? Do you consider the whitetail deer to bea true "Big Game" animal?

I think it isn't, big game hunting is trying to kill a more rare, and harder to killanimal, IMO.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is the deer a "Big Game" animal?

As far as I know It's considered a big game animal in every state that has a hunting season on them.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, let me restate what I said.

Do you guys consider the whitetaildeer to be a big game animal?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I don't get your point. It IS a big game animal. You might argue that it's on the small side as far as big game animals go but it's a big game animal none the less.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, if a person says it's too small to be a big game animal, we might as well say the antelope aren't. I get your point, I just wonder why they're always seperated in catagories, like there's a deer hunting forum, and they're not in the Big Game forum.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think maybe that's just because deer hunting is so popular relative to all other big game they just give it is't own forum. I wouldn't read any more into it than that.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea, on HNI its a popularity thing....just like there is a Turkey Forum, whichI am pretty sure are also considered "Big Game"

There are more deer hunters on here than Elk, Moose, Bear, etc, so they just gave them their own forum to keep from overpowering the other, not-as-well-represented big game species.

I wouldn't read into it either, nothing but an organizational decision.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Yeah, if a person says it's too small to be a big game animal, we might as well say the antelope aren't. I get your point, I just wonder why they're always seperated in catagories, like there's a deer hunting forum, and they're not in the Big Game forum.

That's because deer hunting is so popular, it has it's own section.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Medium size big game (CXP2)
Okay, how about cartridges for the non-dangerous animals called medium size big game, or sometimes just medium game? In North America, deer and pronghorn antelope are by far the most commonly hunted medium game animals. Worldwide, medium game would include deer, goats, sheep, caribou, boar and feral pigs, and several species of Indian and African antelope. Most mature male members of these species average 90-350 pounds on the hoof, although in exceptional cases they can run larger.

CXP1 game = small game, varmints, small predators like coyotes
CXP2 game = middle-sized, thin skinned such as deer, antelope, goats and sheep. May include black bears and hogs.
CXP3 game = mid to large size, thicker skined game such as elk, moose, brown bears
CXP4 game = thick skinned dangerous game such as many African species and American Bison.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:41 AM

I agree that they put it here because it is so popular, but i wouldnt say it is easier to kill than any other big game animals. In my opinion the whitetail is one of the smartest animals you can hunt.

Quick Reply: Is the deer a "Big Game" animal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.