Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

H&R

Old 12-23-2006, 01:37 PM

Default H&R

I may be way behind here but i just purchased H&R Ultra slug shotgun combo...to sum it up...WOW. This is an amazing firearm. The accuracy on this is unbelieveable. Looking forward to hunting with it next season.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:31 PM

Default RE: H&R

Which one did you get? I love mine, it's a bit picky on ammo though.

Paul
Old 12-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

I have one in 20 gauge and love it.Its an absolute tack driver at the range and does a good job on a deer too.I shoot lightfields out of it and average 1 inch groups at 100 yards.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:32 PM

The 12G Ultra slug with the heavy barrel. The thing must weigh 20lbs. but yes it groups well at 100yds also with the lightfield hybrid slugs.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:52 AM

They weigh around 11 or 12 lbs depending on how they are set up and how big of a scope you have. They have a steel bar in the stock you can take out if you want, weighs around a pound I think. Keep in mind it will change the balance and effect felt recoil. The gun is still heavy though. They are a 10 ga barrel bored to 12 ga, which is how they get the heavy barrel. The down side is the only barrels you can swap out on them are 10 ga shot barrels.

The 20's are a bit lighter because they are a 12 ga barrel bored to 20 ga. They are also more versatile because you can swap out any shotgun barrel or centerfire barrel on them since they use the same reciever. They also tend to be more accurate with the faster slugs from what I have been reading.

Mine hated lightfields, seems to like winchester platinum tips though. Heck, mine likes winchester foster slugs to be honest. I shot a 3 shot group making one ragged hole at 100 yards with winchester X rifled slugs. Makes one heck of a mess in the barrel though.

I'm still testing slugs in mine to see what it likes, I was having problems getting consistant groups for a while and discovered my scope crapped out on me. It wouldn't hold parallax any more from shot to shot. I let a young man shoot it and he whacked himself in the head with the scope, I think that did it in.

Some of the slugs I thought didn't work very well might actually be decent. Lightfields were the first slugs I tried though when I bought the gun. The shop suggested them. I think I got like 4 inch groups at 100 yards with them. It will group anything well at 50 yards or so, but at 100 seems to be a bit finnicky.

Paul
Old 12-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Paul try the Brenekke 2-3/4" Heavy Field Magnums and for longer shots the Brenekke 3" Gold Magnums. Oh and by the way notice the added flame thrower effect of the Gold Magnums. LOL! When firing into any wind at all you will feel a big heat wash blow backon your face.

It's no problem putting either of these on a paper plate at 100 and 150 is easy with the Golds. That's with my 12 gauge Deluxe.

My boy's 20 gauge is every bit as accurate with 3" Remington Copper Solids or 3" Brenekkes. We will be going exclusively with the Brenekkes once we finish up the lot of Remingtons though.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:19 PM

I used the gold magnums last year, they group about 4 inches or so at 100 yards out of my gun. I was hoping the added weight (600 grns!) would help me transfer more energy to the deer. Not the case for me. I shot one at 20 yards and it put a hole the size of quarter in one side and out the other, and took out a 3 inch tree behind the deer. That sucker still ran 90 yards before dropping.

For now on I'm going to go with better bullet design over weight. Before my scope went to heck I was getting around 1-2 inch groups with the platinum tips. I wanted to switch to the the one ounce barnes expanders but they didn't shoot consistantly. Now I am thinking it may have been my scope, I will have to try them again next summer to see what they do.

I didn't hunt at all this year, after moving I just didn't have the time or money.

Paul
Old 12-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

i shoot their shotgun and i like it.