Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Using maps, gps, etc. to find remote hunting spots >

Using maps, gps, etc. to find remote hunting spots

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Using maps, gps, etc. to find remote hunting spots

Old 12-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Spike

Default Using maps, gps, etc. to find remote hunting spots

Hello all,
I had an epiphany this past gun season when I talked to a guy who pulled up with a monster buck in the back of his truck. I was showing everybody the biggest deer that I had ever killed at that time and it looked like a baby compared to this huge, old buck. I asked him where he got it and he said the local state forest. I was blown away by that! I mentioned that it sounded strange to me that he would kill such a large deer in a national forest where everybody and their brother hunts every year. He then stated that hunters are too lazy to go to the place where he shot that deer. He said he even saw one that was bigger than that the same day.

Therein came my epiphany. I always hunt in areas that are full of 4 wheeler trails and deer don't live to be too old in these well traveled areas. The national forests don't allow four wheeler traffic and most of it is just miles of land that is open only to foot traffic.

That being said, I want to hike way back into the places where most men are too lazy to go and hunt to find the really big bucks! But I really don't know how to do it. I know there are many maps available on the internet but I don't know where to start.

Here is my main question.....Which maps, tools etc. do I need to find the most remote places (away from roads, houses, trails) in national/state forests (George Washington national and kanawha state forest) and where do I find this information? Also, is there a book published that deals with this topic in a step by step manner?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:44 PM

Default RE: Using maps, gps, etc. to find remote hunting spots

You are right about hunters being lazy. Most people won't venture more than about 1/4 mile from vehicle access.

One place to start is the US Geological Survey topograhical maps. They are very helpful. They show conturols, forests, open areas, trails, roads etc. They are kind of out of date. They don't show all the logging roads in the forest where I hunt, but they do give a good indication of where the areas that don't have roads. Below is the link to their website. they have a list on the sight of where you can get them in each state, or I think you can order them directly from USGS.

http://topomaps.usgs.gov/index.html

Also, get some arial photos, those help when combined with the topo maps. I don't know where you are from, but lots of counties in WI have done arial photo flyovers in the last few years.

The thing to do is scoutthese areas out before the season, so you can find areas that are both remote and good deer habitat.Generally, as you go deeper in, you will find fewer other hunters, but be assured, you aren't the first person who has thought of this. As I scouted areas this fall, I waspretty deep in and I came across the best ground blind someone had made. It looked like alog cabin with walls, a bench seat log roof withpine branches and everything.

Once you plan to venture in so deep in the woods, a GPS would be handy to help you get your way back to the truck. I want to get one of those for next season.

The thing about getting so deep in the woods, is that its a long way to drag a deer.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Spike

Well the deeper out you go the less people you'll see and the quality of bucks would have to go up. Where I hunt now looks like a pumpkin patch in gun season (all the orange vests!).

I'm one of the few people that enjoy dragging deer. I like the challenge. thanks for the tips.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:51 AM

You can try www.topozone.com for maps and satelite pics. I would buy a GPS. Get one that can be used with the topo map software and you will be set. Just bring extra batteries and you will never get lost as long as your GPS is working. I usually hunt about a mile in and I don't mark any of my trails or stands it's all done by GPS. You can even upload all the points you marked to your PC and plot them on a map. This works great to plot out rub lines and really gives you an idea how the deer are traveling.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:02 AM

Mufan

I grew up in up-state Vermont so I have been really influenced by the "Benoit" style of hunting which is what I think you are looking for. They have two books out that are great reading "How to bag the biggest buck of your life" and "Big bucks the Benoit way".

My advice is to get yourself a Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer for your state and start researching areas. Take time to scout in the early fall and learn the logging roads and trails, definately get a gps, and be prepared for changing weather conditions.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:28 AM

Awesome idea! I like hunting this way. I'm not a believer in GPS though. When "going in deep", you want to travel light. Good, reasonably light boots, polyproplyene unerwear and wool outerwear. A light, scoped bolt action carbine, tag, knife, rope, sandwich and a liter of water. Also map, compass, waterproof supply of matches, flashlight. You have enough crap to carry as it is.

I use topozone, because I have access to good color lazer printers. Otherwise obtain a USGS 7.5 minute quad map. Google topozone or USGS. These resources will show you plenty of country.The 7.5 minute quad maps are amazingly accurate as far as terrain goes, and even if they're 30 years old, the terrain really doesn't change. Another important consideration is scale. If you learn how to use these maps, you can determine how far apart certain terrain features are, how far from roads, etc. Look on the map for saddles, swamp edges, creeks, "swamp islands", common sense type of terrain features. Spenda lot of time hiking and exploring with map in hand. This type of hunting takes a lot of scouting time. Best time to scout is during open season or right after. Spring is good too. Plan your hunts with wind direction being a primary consideration. Travel into the wind, and set up your blinds to take advantage of certain wind directions. Seek out some decent buck sign. It's only common sense. If you're going in that far, you want to have a good reason.

I've run into ground blinds also in some very remote locations, and some very good locations, you just have to tip your hat to the person that made them. I don't consider it reason to not hunt an area however. Check the location after season to see if the blind has been used.

Plan ahead for dragging considerations. Inform your hunting partners, or someone, of what you are doing and what you will do if you score. Personally, I would never leave a deer out overnight, unless I absolutely had to, ie: life or death situation.

Keep in shape. This is not the type of hunting for a fat old man who smokes. Good Luck
Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 AM

I'm in class right now, but I'm gonna have to read over this topic once I'm done for the day. Since I go to college 350 miles from home, pretty much the only scouting that I've been able to do this season was while small game hunting for a few days before deer hunting on break. I've been really dependent on Google Local (too lazy to bother with Google Earth) and the Division of Fish and Wildlife topo maps for picking out possible out of the way spots.

Edit: Never mind, just read it now! Too bad in Jersey there really aren't any places you can go that you can really get out of the way like what you guys are planning to do, but perhaps I can get an advantage for when I start hunting up at school in New York next season!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use delorme topo usa, DNR maps and compasses. Someday I'll get a GPS unit but for now I use maps. With delorme you can download aerials and usgs overlays and then do 3D flyovers with the software. You can print out maps at all kinds of scales. It is great for doing extensive map recon before going in on foot. When I do get in on foot I mark the maps I have printed out with different things, rubs, scrapes, animal trails, etc. I also check out what look like natural funnels on the map and sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. Remember though, the deeper you go in the farther you will have to drag out.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Spike

I actually use this method to find fishing spots with little to no pressure. Nothing like catching a fat sunfish thats never seen a hook. I really like the USGS site and maps. I agree that there maps are outdated especially in areas that may have seen recent urban sprawl. I learned to use a Topo in the Army and would suggest a map reading class if you can find one in your area. You will be amazed at what you can learn from a topo and a compass once you learn all those little tricks to using one.

I was planning to use this method to find places to hunt. Allot of the advice i have been hearing from friends is to go deep further than most will to find areas with little or no pressure. Studying a Topo and an aerial will help with finding paths to get in and out. Scouting is good advice because you will never know what it really looks like untill your standing in it trying to figure out how to cross a creek, swamp, Etc.

Great topic you brought up i am intrested in hearing from more folks who practice this type of hunting.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: waiting_for_a_gift

Best time to scout is during open season or right after.
Why do you say that open season or right after is the best time? just curious

Quick Reply: Using maps, gps, etc. to find remote hunting spots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.