Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i should be beaten for this

Old 12-31-2006, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i should be beaten for this

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

ORIGINAL: yakuza wiz

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

First off.. People treat does like pieces of garbage.. and most hunters think does are the ones to take out there "FUN" shots.. and I'm willing to bet you were going after a "cool" headshot.. if so, its your own fault.. and secondly.. what kind of a hunter shoots a deer and LEAVES without knowing where it is or if it is even dead before gettin help.. AND why did you need HELP with a doe.. you dont got enough strength to drag out a little ol' doe by yourself? buck up man.. be a hunter..
first off it was not a head shot i was aiming for her chest.

i had forgotten my flash light (i droped it when i was leaving the house) so i had to run back to the house some 250 yards and grab it. got someone to come with me in case i had a tracking issue.
and what is wrong with getting help?
i always like to have two sets of eyes when i have to track a deer.
i'm still somewhat new to hunting...4th year
In your first post you said she was walking straight at you and now you say you aimed at her chest. I'll assume you mean her brisket was what you refer to as her chest?? If so either your gun is way off or you were!! Either way the shot angle was poor, I think you realize that now and hopefully will take that knowledge tothe future.If you hit the jaw she'll most likely die of starvation or min. infection.

Classic example of why some of usdon't advocate lower percentage shots to the masses.[&:]

I'm sorry, but I got to disagree with the poor shot angle thing. When hunting with a high powered rifle or even a slug gun, either weapon is more than capable of penetrating the chest cavity and beyond, on deer sized game.

I've taken many, many, many deer with this " poor shot angle" and noticed that almost all fall in their tracks or fall with in a very short distance. I prefer a broadside shot but won't pass up this shot.

Provided a person takes the time to make sure he has a steady hold this isn't a bad shot angle.

T
Old 12-31-2006, 09:54 AM
Spike

As I read through this post I was appalled at some of your responses! I've been hunting for 32 years and deer hunting for 27 of those. I've taken deer with the so called poor shot selection, and as stated before they go down quick! I have not and will not try a shot to the brisket with the bow, but with a centerfire or slug no problem! As far as head shots, if you are a marksman and practice shooting this shot can be made. The real problem with this is deer have an extra sense about them to move when you don't want them to. I have taken this shot onceand been successfulin all these years! The fact is if you hunt like I do ( hard )you will make mistakes. Some of you people act like you are perfect. Instead of bashing this person try another approach....use this to teach! Out of all the posts here nobody thought maybe this person jerked the gun causing the shot to be off.....
Old 12-31-2006, 10:30 AM

Always take the shot when it's standing up facing you broadside or either quartering away but never directily facing you and NEVER, I don't care what anyone says, there is nothing impressive about a head shot. Just a larger margin for error. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything and that I sometimes get swept away by watching some of these "professional" hunting shows where they make these miraculous shots but you have to be practical and know your own limitations. There's nothing wrong with an off-hand shot (if you've rehearsed it enough). Remember danielson, practice makes damn near perfect. But also remember danielson, there ain't a man alive on this planet who is damn near perfect.