Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Rabbit hunters killed the buck I was hunting? >

Rabbit hunters killed the buck I was hunting?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rabbit hunters killed the buck I was hunting?

Old 01-01-2002, 08:29 PM

Default RE: Rabbit hunters killed the buck I was hunting?

On the property I own trespassing is still a problem. Real bad the first two years. Caught the same person twice. It's amazing how they all have the same excuse. "I didn't know I was trepassing" ( signs everywhere ). "The owner gave me permission to hunt". One guy put up a fence and was going to put cattle on an upper field. The first year someone left a gut pile at my front gate during the night after driving thru it. Always locals. It's hard being an absentee owner, I'm only there on weekends. The problem has gotten better but I think they are just smarter about getting on my land now. Find litter that just appears. I worked and saved my butt off to get this land. Did give my permission to the only one to ask about hunting on the place.
Old 01-02-2002, 04:18 PM

Edger, did you call the game warden? If it is the same people who were rabbit hunting on your land, call the game warden and turn them in for shooting that buck with #8 shot. I have trouble with them too. I always wondered what would happen if I confiscated their guns. If they want them back, they can contact the local law enforcement. I can't be responsible for what might happen to the gun while it is in my care. Hit these people with every available resource. If you can get the word out that they aren't welcome on your place, they might leave you alone.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:12 PM

We have had poacher problems lately hear in oregon. On my private land we have had 4 bucks shot and killed, horns cut off. If I ever saw someone trespassing on my property God have mercy on their sole. You can always tell the people who didnt know they were hunting, and the people who knew they were hunting on private ground. We have some very big bucks I am very worried about my deer herd.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:20 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
we had a guy tresspass on our property,he drove into the property making a road throught the underbrush to a small clearing.the next time he came back there was a couple of boards with large spikes in them.
when he returned form hunting he had three flats.he walked out about three miles to a phone and called his buddy to come help.they came with three tires and changed them. after they changed those three,we say them on the side of the road about half way to town with two flats on his buddies truck and all four on his flat.
daaa, you would think they would have look for the nailed boards befor they drove in and out again.
we have never had any more problems with tresspassers.

(NAILS IN A BOARD JUST UNDER THE DIRT WORKS.)

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Not only was the nails in the board illegal, in most states, and I think FLA too, in most states it is considered a &quot;booby trap&quot;, and can end you with a several year jail sentance.

Any sentance you get that is 1 year, or more, even if suspended, means that you may NEVER posess, or even live in the same residence, with a firearm again........ Federal Law!!!!

If this guy, or anyone else, had stepped on one of the nails while walking by you could also have been charged with reckless endangerment, and sued by TRESSPASSORS as well, for any bodly injury, medical bills, loss of income from time off work.......

Be careful what you do.......ya might &quot;loose the farm&quot;!
Old 01-02-2002, 09:27 PM

We have major problems with Tresspassors, realy they are poachers, on &quot;our farm&quot; here in PA too.

In talking with the police, they have advised us that if we &quot;touch&quot; a vehicle in any way left on the property, we can be sued, for any damage to that vehicle.

Unless you have your property posted that unauthorized vehicles will be towed, you may not even remove it without risking a law suit.

We were advised that all we can do is park another vehicle ALMOST aginst each end of the trespassors vehicle, and block it in, and that even then we might have a problem if they claim that we &quot;touched&quot; their vehicle with ours!!!
Old 01-02-2002, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is problems around Kansas with poaching too. People don't tresspass all that much, they just drive down the roads looking for deer. Last year I found over 20 dead deer, and am sure several of them were poached.

A big problem is the out-of-state hunters. They just drive down the roads all day long, and go by my hunting spots about 2 miles an hour looking for deer. Last year we caught some tresspasser on my grandfathers land. Three fancy trucks from down south parked right next to the gate on opening day, exact same place that we were about to hunt. My grandfather got in their faces, scared them pretty bad, and threatened to call the sheriff(which he most likely wouldn't have done since it would've took over an hour to get one at that spot in the boonies). He said $100 a person or he'll call the sheriff. With 8 guys he got a few bucks, and haven't seen them since. Funny thing was that when he came up to them my grandfather said &quot;Who gave you guys permission to hunt here&quot;? The guys said &quot;My grandfathers name&quot;. Then he got fired up and said &quot;The hell if I did&quot;. Was about the madest I've seen him.

I know a few local farmers who don't have gates on their land, so people in the feilds at night looking for bucks. So they tied barbwire across the opening of the feild about waist high. The poachers don't know it's there and in the middle of the night it's tough to see. So them poachers come out of there with some nice scratches on their hoods.
Visit My Hunting Page

Old 01-02-2002, 10:53 PM

I am not really sure if this is going on where I hunt, but it is rumored that the farmer who owns the land bought three kids a .22 magnum eac and said that he would give them 5 dollars for every dead deer that they bring in. Like I said, I am not sure of this, I havn't really seen any proof of it, but if it is true, it would REALLY make me upset. This farmer HATES deer. He would go out in the evening and take pictures of the bucks on his land, then show them to EVERYONE and tell them they can hunt there. What really takes the cake is that he got a picture of a buck that would probablly be a Pennsylvania state record. It is a PERFECTLY typical 16 pointer. He showed it to EVERYONE and now the place is like WWIII all through rifle season. I have actually seen this deer once, it was about two summers ago, I was scouting and I sat down on the edge of a field to watch for deer and he stuck his head out. He is MASSIVE. I havn't seen him since and I havn't heard of anyone getting him. Maybe someday I will be lucky enough to tag him. It just makes me sick though.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 01-03-2002, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate it when I hear stories like this, I've dug so much buckshot out of my horses that it's not even funny. I've never had one with serious damage, but you never know when it might. I caught a guy deer hunting our horse pasture, he was sitting one tree away from a posted No hunting sign, we have 9 horses out there. I took a couple shots at a squirrel sitting above his stand with my .22, &quot;oh, I didn't see you there, and oh yeah, no one is allowed to hunt out here&quot;. He was pissed that I shot at him, but he knew I did it on purpose and that I was pissed too.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:16 PM

I was reading this thread on Trespassing, and had just started on the article in the link, when I heard some shots on the property behind my house that I have posted. I went out to find 3 guy's walking right down the dirt road. They were on my property, two with shotguns, one with a muzzleloader. The guy with the ML was legal, but still trespassing. The other two with shotguns were hunting out of season, because only muzzleloading season is in now. They all smelled like they were drunk, and one guy was slurring so bad he could barely tell me his name. After I identified myself as a police officer, they were cooperative, but one did catch and attitude and said I was giving him aggravation. He complained that he was just out trying to hunt and that you can't even do that anymore with getting aggravation. What an attitude. Haven't made up my mind what I'm going to do about them yet. I took all their information and let them go home. I may sign complaints, but they are real low life's and know where I live. I would hate to have to kill some peice of crap that was in the process of vandalizing or trying to burn my house.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:55 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

.410 shotgun shell stuck in the #1 plug makes a much bigger impression when they start it.
Rick