Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

good bait?

Old 12-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: good bait?

1). Try to be as scent free as possible when you do this.

2). 1-2 50lb bags of corn.String the corn out in 15-20' strips in 2-3 seperate areas at least 50-75 yards from your stand.
Don't pile up corn.Gets mouldy very quick.Spreading corn out will allow more deer to feed with less fighting and running off less dominant animals.

3).Pour 1-2 btls of cheap molasses over corn.about $2 btl.

4). Buy 1-2 bags of apples and crush them around corn 20-30' OR cut a few in 1/2 and spike on trees.

All this might cost you about $15.

5). Once you do all this,stay away from it.Do not go back and walk around the corn.Use a pair of Binochs from a distance to inspect corn.

You should bring in the deer if there in the area.

Good Luck
Old 12-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

How bout some Roast, Mashtators, Gravy, Corn, Green Beans, Corn Bread, and Pumpkinpie...apple pie will work too! MMM
Old 12-11-2006, 08:01 PM

I know this lady that wanted to hunt deer bad and then she tells me she decided that the deer would LOVE apple pie, so she baked one and went hunting with it, dont know if she scored but I thought it was rather amusing!
Old 12-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

If youw ant results please dont put out deer cane!! Deer cane is not a good idea this late in the year, its more of a spring and summer thing. Honestly, ust put out corn, its cheap and deer absolutely love it!!
Old 12-11-2006, 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

If youw ant results please dont put out deer cane!! Deer cane is not a good idea this late in the year, its more of a spring and summer thing. Honestly, ust put out corn, its cheap and deer absolutely love it!!
Deer cane is working...right now...late in the season...at my spot
Old 12-11-2006, 08:53 PM

Well here in GA we are not aloud to bait, Which is a good thing but also kinda a tough thing when you are trying to get deer onto your property. But if i were you i would go with just some corn. Scater it out dont just poor it all into one pile.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

I put out asweet acorn mineral lick this season, didn't know till afterwards that they are better to put out in the spring/summer. But they have been tearing it up here lately. Although it took a few weeks for them to start on it. I would try that or you can't go wrong with the corn and apples. Just smash up the apples some before putting them out.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:14 AM

when you put out corn, do the smart thing and spread it out like chicken feed. its more natural for the deer to eat it like its acorns(plus it will take them longer to finish it off), and if you do the lazy thing and pour it out in a pile, it will likely mold before the deer will eat it that way. most people don't realize that if it molds in a pile, the turkeys will eat it and get diseased and die! Just a friendly suggestion.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:46 AM

This works real well. Put out some corn, then take sugar beats or apples, cut them open and rub them on trees. This gets the scent out. Works for me every year. Also, there is a product called vanilla killa. It is a liquid scent that deer love. Spray a bottle of it around and you will have deer there the very same day.