Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Tough decision as a land owner..... >

Tough decision as a land owner.....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tough decision as a land owner.....

Old 12-07-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Tough decision as a land owner.....

Two years ago my grandfather passed away and left me the family farm. I was still in high school and overwhelmed with new responsibility.

Fast forward to now, and my uncle and cousin, who have hunted our farm in rifle season since before I was born, asked me if they could still come out and hunt. Out of respect I told them that it wouldn't be a problem, as long as they didn't shoot any does or button bucks. My uncle is a senior citizen so if he wanted a doe I told him that he and he alone could kill ONE. I hunted with them the first day of PA rifle and their wasn't a problem (because I was there). The following day I had to be back in school and have been in Morgantown ever since, no time to hunt. I get a call fom my buddy from home tonight (who cuts up their deer) and they have brought him their fourth deer off my property tonight. Two does and two button bucks so far.

I'm FURIOUS and don't know what to do. My grandfather has allowed them to hunt there for years and I was just trying to be courteous and let that continue, but they have abused their privelage. I made it very clear to them what I didn't want them doing out there, and they dis-respected that and did it anyway. I called my cousin and left him a voice mail. I told him if I here of one more deer taken off my property this year, that they are done for life. No exceptions. It was hard to do because we have always been best of friends growing up.

I want to throw thm off the property all together, but they're family. I have no idea what to do. I know for a fact they don't have four doe tags between the two of them, so they have also broke the law. They usually use their immediate family's tags and these people dont even hunt. Opinions please.....
Old 12-07-2006, 07:57 PM

Default RE: Tough decision as a land owner.....

Wow, the fact that family is involved makes it that much tougher, but, you gotta do what you gotta do, man, you gave them a warning, and they obviously didn't respect it, throw them out, you'll end up in trouble eventually, if you don't.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say let them kill what they want but they must stay within the law. You need to change your no doe policy anyway. Family is more important than a deer or two. It all depends if they are more important or the deer.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Kybuckhunter

You need to change your no doe policy anyway.
It's besides the fact. The neighboring properties shoot enough of the does so there is no need to take that many more and kill them off. I own the land, it's what I do there. If they can't respect that when they knew the situation, then giv eme one good reason why I should still allow them to hunt there? I would still talk to them because I like them and they are family, but they screwed up and knowingly did it.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know how you feel. This happened to me this gun season and I kicked everyone off of my property this year. They were freinds and family. I told my cousin he wasn't welcome back and the other guy that took a buck that he wasn't supposed to I told him I will give him one more chance to follow my rules. Iam going to instate a rule for next year everyone that hunts there must put down a $300.00 deposit because if you shoot it you are going to mount it.(bucks only)
I don't have a problem with anybody shooting does it makes better management practice. Well good luck
Old 12-07-2006, 08:14 PM

I'd be PO'd about the nubbies, not the does. Always a tough decision when family is involved.

Boy I was a lot of help, eh?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Spike

Take the high road if you can, and take some time to cool down.It can be hard to think when you're that angry. I would not throw them off but rather let them know how mad you are about the situation. Make them make the decision about how far they are willing to push. If they continue to disrespect you and break the law I would then kick them out and alsotell the remainder of the family why. You have resposibilities as a land owner to keep illegal behavior off your property.

That is a tough situation and I hope it works out. Next time (If there is one) make them sign a waiver form.

On another note taking deer illegally israrley justified and I wouldn't let them back on the property after they leave.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:20 PM

I would just simple tell them to stay off your property, You told them not to kill any does or button bucks. But they still did it and they did it illegally
Old 12-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

We had problems with family and friends not following the rules,so we ended family/friend hunting and started leasing the property. Now we make money off the hunting and don't have anywhere near the headaches. Funny how people that get stuff for free will walk all over you, and the people that pay for it will never give you a moment's trouble.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:34 PM

I would make it clear to them to stay within the law but still let them kill does. In fact I wouldn't care if they shot button bucks, button bucks that are on your property this year will NOT be there next year. study show that they move a least five miles and up to 80 miles the first year.

Quick Reply: Tough decision as a land owner.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.