Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

260 remington

Old 12-07-2006, 07:55 AM

Default 260 remington

has anyone every hunted with 260 remington?do u like it? how does it perform?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:17 AM

Default RE: 260 remington

I havent used one but I would assume the kick wouldnt be that bad. I would try the search but if your like me, u did and got no where. I dont know what im doing wrong but no matter what i type in there, it dont work
Old 12-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Spike

I have a remington 700 mountain rifle in .260. It is a great gun, I have killed 4 deer this year with it, and all but one took one shot. It doesnot kick very hard, is a fast round, easy to reload, and definetly does the job on deer. I had a 30/06 before, and liked that as well although I think it is overkill for deer. The .260 will drop a deer every time as long as the shot placement is good (although this goes for every caliber), ammuntion is easy to find, and would also be a great choice for someone who wants a hard hitting gun without the recoil.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of my hunting buddies bought one the first year they came out...He wanted a Model 7 in 7mm-08, as one of my brothers has used one for over 20 years...My buddy got a good deal on the gun because nobody wanted it...He saved about $100.

After trying 3-4 different factory loads, he finally found one to group, none of the factory 140gr loadings would group...Used this load for a year and was discontinued...Found another that would group...Used for a year and discontinued...So...He got into reloading...After working with the next summer he finally worked up a load that would group...He has killed maybe 8 deer with this gun and spent a bunch of bucks to get a decent loading....

This summer he bought a .243....

Unless you reload...and want something "different"...Stay away from....Get a 7mm-08 or a .243...I know others will love it...But I have no use for a .260...

Old 12-07-2006, 09:23 AM

I hunt with a Rem. Mod. Seven in .260 and I have gotten to the point I just will not hunt deer with anything else during gun season. The kick is minimal and the round is devastating on deer. I have shot deer through the front of the chest and the bullet still makes it out the back. If you get a .260 get it in a Mod. Seven S.S. as it is an awesome tree stand rifle. Easy to use in the stand and above all for mountain hunting it is light. Mine is topped with a Nikon 3x9x40. I have shot afive 8 ptrs, a nine and an eleven ptr in 3.5 years of hunting with it. None of the deer I have shot with it have gone more than 30 yds. Most have just dropped.

As for sighting it in. This barrel is a light barrel shoot the rifle and allow the barrel to cool down between shots or you will have a hard time as the hotter that barrel gets it will wander. This generaley applies to all rifles but the thinner barrels are more prone to it.After I figured this out my rifle will stack bullets at 100 yards. All my friends that handle my rifle get this glow in their eyesand then invariably tell me thay gotta have one. Ihave even felt comfortable black bear hunting with it.

Good luck in your decision
Old 12-07-2006, 09:34 AM

nchawkeye, you must have had a problem with the rifle asI use out of the box Rem cor lokts and they stack. Sounds like my TC Hawken, it will not shoot anything but round balls accurately while I have a buddy that can get his to shoot conicals very well. Your above summation of that 260 could apply to any rifle any caliber. My brother has a savage 270 that was brand new out of the box that has the sameproblem. It took us awhile but we finally gotit to be accurate.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMHO 2506 or 7mm08 if you prefer short action are a better choice. Both are pleasant to shoot and excellent deer sized choices. Not to mention far more popular so dinding rifles, components, etc are going to be better now and more importantly the future.