Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My 14 Point buck!

Old 12-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default My 14 Point buck!

I shot this early in the regular Wi season.

My dad's buddy got to watch him come towards him for over an hour at 400+ yards. It came straight at him, and he was waiting for a closer shot, or a broadside shot instead of the "chest" shot. Instead, it bed down about 200 out from him.

My dad went over to try and push it towards him out from where it bed down. When I heard what they were doing over the walkie talkies, I got down from my stand in the woods, and went out to this fence-line stand that watches 2 open fields. When I got to the edge of the woods, I couldnt see my dad, so I knew he was already in the process of doin this drive, so I litterally RUN in full huntinggear ( thick pants, heavy coat, gun, pockets full of shells and such)about 200yards across this field to the stand. I sit down for about 5 minutes, and Dad kicks it up and take as a shot at it, my dad's buddy takes a shot at it. The shots sounded far away, so i thought it was the neighbors shooting...

Both miss... The stand I am in has a tree that blocks the view down the fenceline, so if something keeps tight to the fenceline, you don't see it until it's about 60 yards out. I see something moving either in the tree, or behind it. Can't tell if it's a squirrell, or a deer because it was only there for a split second. Regardless, I'm ready.

Steps out coming right at me, I wait a second for it to get at least partially broadside - end up plugging it with a quartering towards shot. Dropped it right where it was standing.

The second I shot, my dad's buddy comes on the radio "Well, That answers that." I reply with two words... "It's down!"

Now I'm just trying to figure out what form I want to mount it with. My last buck was a half-sneak ( this buck: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/fb.aspx?m=495847&key== )

They'd be mounted next to eachother, so form suggestions are definately welcome. [8D]
Old 12-05-2006, 12:37 PM

Default RE: My 14 Point buck!

Wow! Great buck! Congrats!
Old 12-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ionly see 11 points that count! awsome deer none the less.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nevermind I see the rest!
Old 12-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Bartender

Great buck, you stated walkie talkie used? That legal here in WI?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go, thats a nice buck.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:07 PM

good one, congrats
Old 12-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: PEAKRUT

Great buck, you stated walkie talkie used? That legal here in WI?
PEAKRUT - Yes. If you open your WI hunting handbook:

"Hunters may not use cellular phones, radio communications or other mechanical or electronic amplifying devices to get someone to tag a deer. It is legal to use electronic devices for reasons other than getting someone to tag a deer.

It's under "Group Hunting" on p11- You can't use a device to have someone come over and tag a deer you shot under the Group Hunting rules, as they must be within voice range to be considered a Group Hunting Tag.

SRBowman - Yeah, some of them are hiding, or broken off - but they are still within the required 1" to be a scoreable point.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

....but really, I am looking for ideas on forms for the taxidermist. Everyone skips over this from my original post, but I really am looking for suggestions.

I'm going to pick out a form either this weekend, or next depending on if I can get away from school for the weekend.

Which reminds me....

I shouldn't have even been hunting when I shot this sucker. I go to school quite a ways from where we hunt at. I hunted over opening weekend, and returned to my college campus LATE sunday night. Went to classes all day monday, got all my homework done monday night, and decided LATE to drive home. I got home at around midnight, got to bed around 1:00 after unpacking. Got up at 4:30 to get dressed and start driving to where we hunt. Got up in my treestand, sat there for about an hour - and thats when this whole escapade started. Then I had to drive back to school Tuesday night for my Wednesday classes. Between opening day and Wednesday, I had gone through 3 tanks of fuel in my truck.

Remember, It pays to skip school. [8D]
Old 12-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Using Walkie Talkies as you describe is certainly illegal in Montana and many other states....... I wonder how many deer would be killed if deer could communicate with each other with walkie talkies...... "Hey, Bambi, there's a hunter coming in on your left.....150 yards out and closing. Run 50 yard to your right, drop downthat drawand head for the swamp and you'll be ok".........

Quick Reply: My 14 Point buck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.