HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My 14 Point buck!
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 12:29 PM
TSR6
Fork Horn

Default My 14 Point buck!

I shot this early in the regular Wi season.

My dad's buddy got to watch him come towards him for over an hour at 400+ yards. It came straight at him, and he was waiting for a closer shot, or a broadside shot instead of the "chest" shot. Instead, it bed down about 200 out from him.

My dad went over to try and push it towards him out from where it bed down. When I heard what they were doing over the walkie talkies, I got down from my stand in the woods, and went out to this fence-line stand that watches 2 open fields. When I got to the edge of the woods, I couldnt see my dad, so I knew he was already in the process of doin this drive, so I litterally RUN in full huntinggear ( thick pants, heavy coat, gun, pockets full of shells and such)about 200yards across this field to the stand. I sit down for about 5 minutes, and Dad kicks it up and take as a shot at it, my dad's buddy takes a shot at it. The shots sounded far away, so i thought it was the neighbors shooting...

Both miss... The stand I am in has a tree that blocks the view down the fenceline, so if something keeps tight to the fenceline, you don't see it until it's about 60 yards out. I see something moving either in the tree, or behind it. Can't tell if it's a squirrell, or a deer because it was only there for a split second. Regardless, I'm ready.

Steps out coming right at me, I wait a second for it to get at least partially broadside - end up plugging it with a quartering towards shot. Dropped it right where it was standing.

The second I shot, my dad's buddy comes on the radio "Well, That answers that." I reply with two words... "It's down!"

Now I'm just trying to figure out what form I want to mount it with. My last buck was a half-sneak ( this buck: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/fb.aspx?m=495847&key== )

They'd be mounted next to eachother, so form suggestions are definately welcome. [8D]