Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Unpressured gun hunting

Old 12-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Unpressured gun hunting

Do you get to gun hunt deer that are under natural movements? Or do you hunt heavy pressured places where they are either running crazy to escape or bedded down tight.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Unpressured gun hunting

North central pa.. Mckean county incase you were wondering.. all the guys from down state and out of state come and just bombard the woods.. the deer are so scared the first day and a half they just run wild.. after that you will have to jump them from brush and piles so thick u cant even walk through em.. If you dont get a buck opening day you can pretty much kiss it goodbye.. Kinda depressing because it doesnt feel like hunting... it feels more like a pill draw.. Just this year i had a medium sized 6 pt come by.. i WANTED to let it go.. but i knew if i did i wouldnt get another shot at a deer.. and this was only the first day.. (but with college and coming home, i would only have been out maybe 2 more times) But nonetheless my dad has hunted every day of the season so far.. and the last 2 days he hasnt seen a deer whatsoever..
Old 12-05-2006, 09:49 AM

6-8 guys on 1000 acres of private bush land rifle hunting, no bow hunting on property. 1 neighbouring property of 700 acres has 30+- hunters on it, they sit first day then push bush.

4 guys on 2200 acre farm for muzzleloader/archery hunt.

12-20 guys on 2500 acres public land archery/muzzleloader hunting.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:58 AM

Right now we are hunting land that 5 guys have permission to hunt it.Yesterday was the first day of the M/L hunt I had 10 does and fawns go past.We got about 6-8 inches of snow last night getting ready for the afternoon hunt as I type trying to wait for a buck but might have to thin the herd tonight.lol.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:03 AM

where I am there are 5 people per maybe 300 acres of land...and opening day it sounds like a war is breaking out in the woods. but after about 2 weeks or so people seem to stop hunting as much. (i'm guessing they tag out or fill the freezer)

the deer wont even move the whole week after.
then at about half way into the season I stop hearing any shots and start seeing deer during the day.

I seem to see twice as many deer in the last week and a half of the season then i did in the opening week.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have173 acres where just myself andmy hunting partner hunts.The properties surrounding me are not too pressured, so I'm still seeing pretty natural movement. I've been seeing a lot of young bucks but no big mature ones. If they are out there , they are hiding pretty good. I try not to pressure them too much. Lots of does and fawns this year. Many of them button bucks. Looks good for the future.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

i have permission to hunt about 200 acres of a 5 year old select cut.And i am the only one who has permission to hunt it to.The deer are still pretty calm and stayed pretty calm opening weekend, i didnt see any deers running or any thing like that opening weekend.Now that the first gun season is over im looking foward to the late season that opens dec 16-jan 2.Because hardly noone hunts the late season around here.They say it is too cold(bunch of pansys).