Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shotgun hunting question

Old 12-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default shotgun hunting question

im completly new to shotgun hunting deer, i have a shot gun, but its a iron sight with justa bead on the front, i used it for skeet shooting,
is it possible to use for deer hunting?
whats the furthest i cant shoot with this kind of sight?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: shotgun hunting question

As long as it has the right choke on the end (if it has interchangable chokes). You need to shoot rifled slugs through it (the cheap lead ones), and practice before hand.

I used a 16 gauge Remington 870 wingmaster with a 28" barrel for the first 4 years hunting, needless to say, it killed alot of deer, I shot them over 50 yards at times. All in your confidence and the barrel's accuracy.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Spike

I have a Remington 870 that is the same way. I ended up putting a Tasco ProPoint on it as past about 50 yards you loose most of the deer behind the large sight on the end of the standard barrel.

I shoot 3" rifled slugs as MDManiac mentioned above. With this set up 75-85 yard is possible.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've shot rifled slugs (Winchester 1 oz. Super-X) out of my870 Wingmaster 12 ga. and consistently hit pie plates out to about 85 yards. It came with a fixed improved cylinder choke and a front bead. My grandpa has taken quite a few deer with the same gun and setup.

You can also buy a replacement rifled barrel with rifle sights or a cantilever mount toshoot sabot slugs. I put one on the same 870 and sighted it in for 100 yards with a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32 shotgun scope.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

shoot the cheap slugs out of smooth bore barrels. as for the sights................ only a front bead probably isnt going to be that great over 40 or 50 yards unless you practice , if you can afford it go out and buy a slug barrel. it doesnt have to be riffled and you will do much better with it.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:37 PM

I have a 870 12 guage and I use 3 in. 000 buck shot. I use a full choke, but I don't shoot any farther than maybe 25 or 30 yards.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Soap,
Please don't go by a rule of thumb or someone saying they can shoot a specific distance. You need to go to the range and find out what YOUR limit is. A bead sight is a very crude way to aim any firearm. If you can't hit a paper plate past 30 yards with it then that's your personal range limit. The only way you will know is to go shoot the thing. I used to hunt with my Rem 870 skeet bbl back when I didn't have a scope for it. I used the middle bead as a sort of back sight and carefully lined it up with the front bead. Helped me to shoot a lot better. HTH and good luck.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

either use an improved cylinder choke or a rifled choke, but be conscious of slugs u use.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Dominant Buck

I converted a 20 gage and use it for deer hunting . I changed the choke to improved cylinder from modified , shoot rifled slugs , and replaced that crappy bead with Hi Viz fiber optic rifle style sights . It does the job .
Old 12-04-2006, 09:05 AM

MDmaniac is correct. I have a friend that hunts rifle season with an 870 express iwth the bird barrel and bead sight. He is deadly accurate with it out to 100 yards. He uses the Breneke slugs.

Quick Reply: shotgun hunting question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.