Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Post Your Do's and Don'ts of Sighting in a Rifle. >

Post Your Do's and Don'ts of Sighting in a Rifle.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Post Your Do's and Don'ts of Sighting in a Rifle.

Old 11-23-2002, 04:47 AM

Default RE: Post Your Do's and Don'ts of Sighting in a Rifle.

Never have your wife downrange holding your targets for you no matter how tempting it is!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2002, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

My tip for sighting in is: don't assume that just because your rifle is hitting an inch high at 25 yards and your ballistics table shows it is dead on at yardage X that it is true. Shoot it at every distance so you KNOW where it will shoot.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:01 AM

where's a good place to get ballistic tables?
Old 11-23-2002, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of the reloading manuals will have ballistic tables
Old 11-23-2002, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

I do the 3 shot groups then go look to see where they are hitting on the paper. I circle each hole and mark it with a number :ie first group shot Marked #1 2nd shot group #2. This helps in alot of ways.

You get to see if groups are getting tighter or spreading out as well as where the shots are moving to.

To me (my prefrence) is to have good groups all hitting in same place then Zero in scope. It may take 6-9 shots before i move my scope once.

Hunt for the sport, share the outdoors and most of all be safe and enjoy it......know your
back stop when shooting!!
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/nicholal
Old 11-23-2002, 03:45 PM

when going to see where your bullets hit. Don't run back and forth to the target. If your shooting at 100 yards and are running back and forth to the target your heart will get to beating. Once your heart is beating really fast its harder to shoot.

I learned that one today. I shot better groups after walking to and from target.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:07 AM

Of course, if you're not sighting in the gun, and actually practicing shooting for the hunt, it might help to run around a lot before taking some shots. Very few hunters I know would claim to be perfectly calm with a resting pulse when they've decided to pull the trigger on that monster buck...

Nate
Old 11-25-2002, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd like to emphasize what berniegoeasy said about letting the barrel cool. I got a ruger mark II 7mm mag. I shoot alot and reload my own shells. That gun will drive nails starting out but if you don't take the time to let that barrel cool between shots, it will start putting holes everywhere in that target. It can be warm, but if it's uncomfortable to touch, it ain't gonna group. Maybe heavier barrel rifles are better.
Also, if you clean that barrel after you sight it in, your next shots are going to be way high. I clean mine after the season is over and that's it.

Old 11-25-2002, 12:36 PM

Make sure all scope mounts are tight and free of damage before starting. It really is frustating when you can't get the gun to group with any ammo. Then find out your mounting screws are loose.

Shoot your last group out of the box of ammo you plan to hunt with(You'll be sure of where they shoot).

Old 11-25-2002, 08:21 PM

I assume you are after deer with this rifle since this is a deerhunting board. My particular load groups at 0's at 25 and 225. Its about 1.5 inches high at 100 yds. Since this is a load I know and have used in this rifle for years with the load it made it easier when I put a larger scope on it this year.

Simply put, I started at 25 yards to get it centered. Then shot the 75, 150, 225's. Saved ammo.

Oh and I like target 2 on this link. I print these down and use them. much easier to see those 1 inch blocks even through the 4 power. http://<a href="http://www.remington...argets.htm</a>

&quot;Size isn't important, but it HELPS!!!&quot;

Quick Reply: Post Your Do's and Don'ts of Sighting in a Rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.