Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

have you ever been shot at?

Old 12-05-2006, 02:15 PM

Default RE: have you ever been shot at?

yea, but not from hunting, glad your ok, becareful
Old 12-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

i just wanted to say thanks for the stories and replyes i went out and found where they shot from had to be idots found a bunch of .22 casings on the ground about 125 yrds from where i was at on the other side of a creek so they were just shooting at anything that made noise from what i can tell but thanks again and safe hunting to you all

Old 12-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

For all the people that said they've "heard bullets whizzing by their heads", I hate to tell you that when a bullet goes by your head, all you will hear a small crack (like when you snap yourfingers) not 'whizzing'. Bullets "whizzing" is what it sounds like when you see it on TV.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kenman

For all the people that said they've "heard bullets whizzing by their heads", I hate to tell you that when a bullet goes by your head, all you will hear a small crack (like when you snap yourfingers) not 'whizzing'. Bullets "whizzing" is what it sounds like when you see it on TV.
WRONG! you've never been in the woods and heard bullets prior to hitting something. THey make a distinct noise as they fly. I've never had one extremely close to me but would have no prob picking out the distinct sound they make.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Luckily you are ok. I had a buddy of mine acidently shot my direction with his shotgun while we were dove hunting. I was sitting in a chair and he shot twice, but after the first shot I feel to the ground. I wasn't hurt, but my buddy learned a really good lesson!!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:59 PM

no i havent and the day i am, i might just quit
Old 12-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

WRONG! you've never been in the woods and heard bullets prior to hitting something. THey make a distinct noise as they fly. I've never had one extremely close to me but would have no prob picking out the distinct sound they make.
Sorry, duckbutter you are WRONG...I've been shot at in combat, shot over in infantry training, and had thousands of bullets fly bya couple feet over my head in the rifle butts on a rifle range...bullets don't 'whiz'...they make a snap (from the bullet making a small sonic boom as it goes by). If a bullet is 'whizzing' the shot came from a hell of a long way away or has riccocheted off something prior to approaching youand the speed of the bullet is petering out. Any veteran will tell you the same thing, bullets don't whiz...incoming artillery and rockets 'whiz'...
Old 12-08-2006, 01:38 PM

All of these stories are a reason why I think that rifle season should be ELIMINATED in populated eastern states. On my farm in PA, its nothing but farm country. Houses all around and on tops of hills. Not much room for a high powered rifle bullet to be flying around.

I'm an archery hunter and I can kill deer with slugs if I have to, so if the game commission said no more rifles starting tomorrow it wouldn't bother me. All rifle seasons do is give people who are not very good hunters at all a fighting chance at actually killing a deer, or somebody. I admire Ohio's shotgun only season
Old 12-08-2006, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

Sorry, duckbutter you are WRONG...I've been shot at in combat, shot over in infantry training, and had thousands of bullets fly bya couple feet over my head in the rifle butts on a rifle range...bullets don't 'whiz'...they make a snap (from the bullet making a small sonic boom as it goes by). If a bullet is 'whizzing' the shot came from a hell of a long way away or has riccocheted off something prior to approaching youand the speed of the bullet is petering out. Any veteran will tell you the same thing, bullets don't whiz...incoming artillery and rockets 'whiz'...
Yea, Im gonna have to agree with kenman...he is correct. The little crack is like a tiny sonic boom....bullets don't whiz eccept for ricochet and decay of velocity
Old 12-08-2006, 01:56 PM

Reading all these post makes me nervous about hunting on public land. I've never been shot at and I sure hope it never happens...

Quick Reply: have you ever been shot at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.