Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

have you ever been shot at?

Old 12-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default have you ever been shot at?

i went out deer hunting on sat 12/2/03 and someone shot at me ! i was wearing my (orange)vest and hat and was going threw some thick stuff (was stalk hunting) walking and hunting. and herd the shot then the bullet buzz my ear! a second later another shot hit the ground by me herd the thud!! so i shot into a tree and yelled theres a hunter here!!!!! and didnt here any thing for a few min then a vehicle tear off. i almost peed my pants! i was madd that someone who coulden't see their target would shoot at noise!!! i quickly got back to my car but couldnt find where they were or shot from [:@]it was public game lands in nc. my wife asked why i was shaking when i got home and i told her .all this the day before my b-day today now she dont want me to hunt go figurebut that aint gona stop me ill get all orange if i have 2 to make her happy. sorry long storry im still shaken upfrom it
ok my question to you all anyone ever have a close call or been shot?
please tell your storry ty in advance

Old 12-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: have you ever been shot at?

WOW THATS FU*&ING BULLSH*&T!!!

public land,a fewweeks ago, some shot gun hunter walk right up to me in my treestand, walks around a 50 by 50 yard feild im watching over for deer, talks to me, walks away, and shoots a bird about 50 yards away from me but aiming towards me!, and i could hear the pellets bouncing off trees near me!. not to mention its first come first serve, and i was the only one supposed to be hunting there for the day.
he wasent trying to shoot me, but come pretty close
Old 12-03-2006, 10:08 PM

a very long time ago my great-grandfather killed my great uncle mistaking him for a deer. also my uncle got shot in the leg from his friend but im sure they were drunk.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:09 PM

I cant believe the ignorance of some people. However if you are going to hunt public land i would suggest you invest in a climber, or make your way to the thickest nastiest part of the public grounds where you will run into noone. If your 20 ft up a tree and someone shoots at you, kill them.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea three times too many so far , twice up north when I was doing a spring turkey hunt at an edge of a clear cut and when I was deer hunting.
The last time just two weeks ago at my happy hunting grounds , I was in my stand and some YAHOO about 50 yards behind me took a shot in my direction.
Now my wife doesn't like the idea of me being out in the woods during gun season.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

ty for your replies so far . and again i still cant beleive people are this carless about their surroundings ... im wondering if there should be a safty section in this forum for things like this post and some of the other things. well keep the storries comming guys and gals. all can learn from hering other stories cause we will all be more sure of our surroundings on our next hunts im sure

Old 12-03-2006, 11:41 PM

accidents are accidents but that's just stupidity.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:25 AM
Fork Horn

Best idea I have ever heard come out of anyone's mou...I mean, fingers on here.

I have been shot at twice. Once last year and another several years ago. Last year I was cruising timber in SW Arkansas and heard some dogs running about a half mile away. I was just inside the edge of the mature timber when all of a sudden a deer went tearing across the clearcut where a poster was standing. He opened fire. I hit the ground and put a 20" pine between myself and him. He had no idea I was around until I pounded his face in...j/k. I made him aware of where I was and he packed up and left.

The other time was about 8 years ago. A buddy and I was coming in for lunch. We met up at our creek crossing and were coming up on the edge of the property that borders a big pecan grove. For years, the people that owned the property didn't let anyone hunt because every time that they would give permission to someone, they would end up on OUR property. I would understand if the boundaries weren't well-maintained and easy to distinguish, but a 4.5 foot barbed wire fence is pretty obvious. On this occasion though, the man that owned it had passed away and left the property to his wife. Some yahoo came up& asked for permission and she granted it. Not a big deal. The big deal was that he drove back in there, stomped on the gas when he saw some deer running across the back side, came sliding to a halt, hopped out and unloaded on a button buck that was between us and him. He didn't hit the deer until he was down to his last bullet and the deer was literally a few feet away from our fence. I was irate. I sent my friend on his way then stood there waiting for him to come over. I couldn't see the deer really well, but it was laying completely still. He made his way over there eventually...he decided to walk from where his truck was parked about a 150 yards away and I was sad to see he had a kid in tow. He came up and said, "I almost didn't get that one! That was my last bullet I had! Whoooo!" When he got to the deer, I got a little closer. I could see that he was still alive and told him he needed to finish it off...so he cut the deer's esophogus and trachea, not the arteries...so the deer was still alive. The kid noticed this as well as I did, but the kid beat me to saying something about the deer being alive still. He responded by saying, "Oh, no, he's not" as he began gutting the deer alive. This sent me over the edge, but being a rational man, I just said, "Man, you are lucky you have got a kid here with you, or I would beat your a** for 5 different things. You will never hunt on that property again."My father, an attorney,told the lady what had happened andtold her that if something had happened to us that she would have been partly liable because she had given the guypermission to be there. That guy was never allowed on the property again, nor was anyone else except for the lessee, but he has always been relatively safe and understands the possible consequences if he is not.

ORIGINAL: mudchicken1012

ty for your replies so far . and again i still cant beleive people are this carless about their surroundings ... im wondering if there should be a safty section in this forum for things like this post and some of the other things. well keep the storries comming guys and gals. all can learn from hering other stories cause we will all be more sure of our surroundings on our next hunts im sure
Old 12-04-2006, 12:38 AM

Yea, We was.My uncle showed me what to do.Jump behind a tree near a ditch.When we came out and he questioned the shooters,One said they shot at a doe.Believe me,there was no deer in sight.Open field they was at the top we was at the bottom.They could see us,We could see them.I never seen them after that.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:53 AM

ORIGINAL: mudchicken1012

i went out deer hunting on sat 12/2/03 and someone shot at me ! i was wearing my (orange)vest and hat and was going threw some thick stuff (was stalk hunting) walking and hunting. and herd the shot then the bullet buzz my ear! a second later another shot hit the ground by me herd the thud!! so i shot into a tree and yelled theres a hunter here!!!!! and didnt here any thing for a few min then a vehicle tear off. i almost peed my pants! i was madd that someone who coulden't see their target would shoot at noise!!! i quickly got back to my car but couldnt find where they were or shot from [:@]it was public game lands in nc. my wife asked why i was shaking when i got home and i told her .all this the day before my b-day today now she dont want me to hunt go figurebut that aint gona stop me ill get all orange if i have 2 to make her happy. sorry long storry im still shaken upfrom it
ok my question to you all anyone ever have a close call or been shot?
please tell your storry ty in advance
The best way to eliminate someone is hunting.This is why you make friends with others.You watch them and they watch you.If someone was pointing a gun in the direction of family,Believe me.When I look at a family and they are not scopeing the area.My gun is goanna raddle.

Quick Reply: have you ever been shot at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.